Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The post about Everyday Health and another reader's question answered

Back in February I was contacted by Leslie Steinberg, the social media manager of Everyday Health.  Everyday Health is a website dedicated to topics about health and well being.  Leslie asked if they could feature my story as one of their "Weight Loss Success Stories".  I was surprised to hear from Leslie because she contacted me through my blog.  Regardless, I was totally flattered and agreed to the interview.  My interview was posted yesterday and you can read it here.  The only discrepancy is that they posted my highest weight ever as my start weight, and even though I did weigh 310 at one time, that was almost six years ago.  Either way, I was excited to see my story up and was much more long winded than I remembered.

I have been posting my "Day in Pictures" via my Facebook page.  I include a shot of my food diary and a meal, and the details, if any, about my exercise that day.  Feel free to wander over and take a look if you're interested in seeing what I've been up to the last couple of days.  Paula and Mrs. Swan were wondering about what I ate day in and day out, so I figured that if anyone's interested, they can go have a look.  I don't post amounts that I eat because I don't measure (yet).  We'll see how this works for me.  My goal is to drop weight, so I'll try what I'm doing for a couple more weeks and if things don't move on the scale, I'll have to return to the bare basics.  For me that would be Phase 1 of Dr. Poon's diet.

It's much harder to lose weight when you only have a little left to go.  I lost 125 pounds in 14 months and looking back now, although it was a lot of work, it almost seemed easy compared to what I do now.  I'm running more than ever and doing physio/core exercises four times a week.  All in all, that's about 6.5 hours of exercise per week.  When I dropped the 125, I never measured anything and ate till I was full.  I'm thinking that's not going to work for me now.  Oh well.  I'll keep my food journal and keep up my marathon training.  I know the journal is the key to success.  I journaled for the 14 months I was in active weight-loss mode and it worked wonders for me.  I've been lax over the past six months with the journal, but I'm gonna keep it up and try to emulate Marion who is a journal goddess.  She's journaled over 280 days in a row.  Awesome!

Linda asked me the following question in the comment section of my blog post from July 4th.

Which leads me to the question which is in relation to that. Did you ever in your wildest dreams imagine that you would be a runner - that this would be your life? I know you have mentioned that you are the same inside person as before, but do you ever suddenly stop and think - wow, this is my life now! So different from before. They are pretty silly questions I know, but it is an emotional one! And now I see that you are teaching your son. That is also very emotional to me.

Linda, not silly questions at all.  I never in a million years thought that I would ever be where I am today.  I tried to lose weight so many times in my life, and gave up just as many times as I started.  I honestly believe that if not for the events that took place at Busch Gardens two years ago this month, I would not be 125 pounds lighter.  As embarrassing and humiliating as it was (to not be able to fit on a children's ride that was made for adults too), it was also what saved me. And to have to tell my three year old that I couldn't spend time with him was devastating.  Julien doesn't remember, but I do.  It was a real low point in my life and I just knew I couldn't be the parent I wanted to be at almost 300 pounds.

As for the running, that was a pleasant surprise.  I remember writing a post just before I started running about how much I hated exercise.  I avoided any form of exercise like the plague.  When I was 290 pounds and pretty much sedentary, it hurt for me to walk up the stairs. I had heel spurs, joint pain and I was constantly sweating.  I remember what that felt like and I would do absolutely anything to never have to feel like that again.  When I'm running, I feel so light and free.  Strong. I'm still amazed that I'm actually a runner.  I work hard as a runner.  I'm not a fast runner.  I have instructed people in both Learn to Run and the 10K clinic that are faster than me.  I have to work hard to improve my pace.  I wish it came naturally to me like it does for some, but it's all good.  I always have new goals to work towards.

My life is like a dream.  I always dreamed of living the life I do now, and I have to pinch myself to make sure it's real.  I still do a double take when I see myself in the mirror.  I never imagined my face would look the way it does with all the excess weight gone.  Who knew I actually had defined bone structure?  Not me.  Although I like to think I am the same person inside, I'm still working on changing the way I see myself.  That will be on-going for some time to come.  I need to stop pointing out my flaws and start appreciating the things I like about myself.

So here's a challenge for you Linda, and everyone else who is reading this.  Whether you have reached goal or not, point out something about yourself that you like.  It can be a body part, a non-scale victory, the way you look in a particular outfit.  Anything.  I'm gonna post something I like about myself at the end of each blog for the next little while.  I challenge you to do the same.  I am still a work in progress and none of us are perfect, but I bet we can find a bunch of pretty perfect things we like about ourselves.  Self love is an important part of healing.  And there needs to be a lot more healing and much less hating going on.


I love that no matter how hard I try, I can't make
myself have a double chin anymore.