Monday, March 12, 2012

Blogging plagiarism

The last two recipes I posted were not created by me (nor did I claim they were).  I believe I mentioned in the chicken sausage one that I got it off of another blog a couple of months ago and couldn't remember which one.  I copied the photo and the text and saved it to use at a later time.  My mistake for not also copying the blog web address.  The chicken pizza one, I found through the picture I copied from the web of the previously mentioned blog.  Through that picture, I did come upon a recipe sight for low carb recipes.  That's where I got the pizza chicken recipe.  Being the brainiac I am, I did not notice that the plates in both pictures were the same, so likely came from the same source.  Someone was good enough to point out to me earlier today where both of these recipes came from (although I knew where the chicken pizza came from), in a fairly accusatory and angry manner.  I have since had contact with the creator of these recipes and she was very generous in her willingness to share.

Bottom line, I'm not attempting to be malicious or  underhanded in any way.  If I find a recipe I like on-line, I'll adapt it to fit my diet and possibly post it.  I will definitely link it to it's original source from now on (especially since I now know where they came from)...as I don't want to cause any discord in the web world.  The last two recipes I adapted were from http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/index.html.  An excellent sight if you are eating low carb.  I thank Linda (the creator of the recipes) for allowing me to adapt and re-post her recipes.  And I thank Angie for pointing out my obvious faux pas and demanding retribution.  See her angry rant here.  Scroll down, it's the long comment near the bottom.  There was an additional comment she made, but Linda asked me to remove it, so I did.

Just to set the record straight (and I'm sure you all knew this), every recipe I post is adapted from some recipe I found in a cookbook, or on the web, or from someone I personally know.  I'm gonna come clean and say, I did not create Cauliflower Sheppard's Pie (maybe it was President's Choice).  Every recipe on the web is adapted from some other recipe and the original creator is rarely credited.  We tweak and change to meet our own needs.  People will comment on some recipes I've posted in the past and ask if they can re-post it, by all means please do.  Change it up to meet your needs and feel free not to credit me.  I don't care.  In fact don't credit me because I know I've adapted it from something I've found on the web (where it's been adapted from some other source) or in some other publication.  I'm just hoping to help others by getting new ideas out there.  Most of them aren't even new...I just try to adapt it to make it Dr. Poon (high protien and low carb and fat) friendly.

These recipes are all over the web.  How do we know who the original "creator" is?  I found the chicken sausage recipe here as well as here and here and here and here.  There are also many more sights that have the exact same recipe on it.  So who have I truly "stolen" it from?  What if I'm not crediting the original creator?  None of the above links link to Linda's sight (but I'm confident she did create the recipe).  I'm just trying to make a point here.  By posting my (I use that term very loosely) recipes on the web, I'm inviting anyone to make them, adapt them, copy and paste them and generally share them with who ever they want.  If this isn't what I intended, I'd make my blog private and only invite certain readers in.  What would be the fun in that?  Lesson learned, but please don't ask me to find out and credit who I adapted the other 8 recipes from...my head will explode if I have to think that hard!

23 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda is totally amazing. I'm so glad that you like her site. : )

      Delete
  2. I have been corrected before and appreciate it when it is tactfully done. She jumped right in assuming you were "stealing" and not giving you the benefit of the doubt. Your reply was mature and appreciative of the correction. It could also have been done privately I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow that was harsh. Totally unnecessary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very tactful response to her harsh comment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. You have infinite patience. I would not have been as gracious in response to her rant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I work with troubled and unstable youth:)

      Delete
  6. Plagarism is theft. I could have been mean, but I was honest. If I seemed heated, it's because I was. I'm glad that you gave credit. Linda Sue has changed my life with her recipes. Wouldn't you jump to the defense of someone that changed your life?

    Linda creates most of her recipes, and when she does use someone else's, she gives credit.

    Also, a mistake is usually something that happens once. When I saw it twice, it really ticked me off. Really, it doesn't seem realistic that you would "forget" where you found a recipe when it came from Linda. Her site is amazing and very memorable.

    I think it's awesome when people come together and help each other. And I also think that we should all be careful to give credit. Linda advertises on her site, when you share her recipe on your site and don't link her, you're stealing clicks from her. Clicks that help her pay for her site. She counts on every penny due to illness in her family. Linda never asks for a handout, never asks for anything. But I know that every cent that comes from her site and donations, makes a huge impact. So, it does matter. Links do matter. Her recipes are hers, and no one else's.

    I stand by my original statements. I was not mean, only upset. With every right to be upset about it.

    Hopefully in the future, you'll link and give credit. I know that I would.

    Also, I didn't call names. Fail is pretty tame compared to what you or one of your friends posted on my blog. And I had the nerve to sign my name, which is more than I can say for Anonymous. That should show you that I am only trying to stand up for what I believe in.

    It's all good though, I have a very thick skin, so I'll be a betch. ; )

    I wish you the very best in your blogging and health journey. Thanks for correcting the issue and giving Linda Sue the credit that she deserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really apologize to Linda. She was more upset about you sharing her email address on your second comment than anything I did. So you best not do that again!

      Delete
    2. Wow. That gal just has a major cranky bug up her hiney. Holy unrighteous indignation!

      Delete
  7. Goodness gracious. Fifty lashes with a wet (low carb) noodle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Whoops! At least you know now and have linked back. Live and learn. :) (PS this is why I LOVE pinterest!!! I can link back to the stuff really easy and have exact addy)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is it just pinterest.com? I've never heard of it, but I am always on the lookout for low carb recipes. : )

      Delete
    2. Yup You need an invite for instant account *or* you can just ask them to join and in a few days they will send you an invite. Bunches of ways to search recipes and others things. If you just go to the web site period you can get an idea of how it works.

      Delete
  9. Spare me. Leigh, I don't think you did anything wrong. If people post stuff on the net, it is bound to get picked up by others and shared. I think what you did was done innocently, with no harm intended. Time to move on!!!

    With that said, I hope you have a fantastic week! I missed coming over to your blog this past week. Hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yikes, this is a tough situation. I've actually "talked" to Linda a few times over at Lowcarbfriends - she's super helpful and nice and she has loyal followers so I get where Angie was coming from. She may not have gone about it the right way though, since it seems like it was an honest mistake. No harm, no foul and you rectified the situation nicely :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow. I see someone's still pretty worked up over it. I post recipes when I find one I really like and I really try to remember where I got it from. Often though, I copy a recipe and don't get around to trying it right away and I may forget. I think it was an honest mistake and I don't think you deserved to get flamed the way you did. Live and learn.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry to see that I have come by on a day in which there is a conflict going on... but I just wanted to give a belated thanks for reading what I have to say.
    Good luck with your journey. Your food looks interesting and you seem like a well intentioned person. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Again, People suck... Live and learn and imagine that someone.."changed my life,,with a recipe".. Taking credit for something so hard to create as chicken with sauce on it should be punishable by hanging...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well I think the reaction to this was completely blown out of proportion. Really. There are nice ways to convey such messages, and that was NOT a nice way.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Whoa. Talk about over reaction. It's a recipe, just a recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think your honesty is noble here. As long as you admit where it came from. I was plagiarized too and wrote this letter to the people who took my material. Check it out! If anything, it's a good laugh!

    http://girlygirlsurvivalguide.blogspot.com/2014/07/how-to-call-someone-out.html

    ReplyDelete