Sunday, March 4, 2012

Phase 1 friendly mushroom chicken and sausage casserole

Very moist and delicious:)
This is a recipe I found on another blog. I can't recall which one, so I apologize for not giving you much deserved props.  I tweaked it a bit to make it Dr. Poon phase one friendly.  After original post was published, I was informed where I got this recipe...it was adapted from http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/mushroom_chicken-sausage_casserole.html.

You will need:

4 cups of diced, cooked chicken breast
1 pound low fat turkey sausage
1 stalk of celery chopped finely
2 tsp of onion powder
2 cloves of chopped garlic
1/2 pound of mushrooms sliced
8 oz fat free cream cheese spread
16 oz bag of frozen cauliflower cooked and drained well
8 oz Allegro 4 % cheese (I used the Herb and Spices)
1/2 salt and pepper to taste
Paprika sprinkled on top

Brown the sausage with the celery, mushrooms, garlic and onion powder.  Stir in the cream cheese until well blended.  Coarsely chop the cooked cauliflower.  Mix all of the ingredients together and spread into a sprayed 9x13 casserole dish.  Dust the top with paprika.  Baked covered at 350 for 30 minutes.  Uncover and continue to bake for an additional 15 minutes until hot and bubbly.  Makes 10 servings.

Really yummy and great to bring for lunches.  I served it with a simple salad.  Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. yumm that looks and sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks ridiculously good!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where can you buy the low fat turkey sausage?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion of Turkey Sausages! I hit my grocer and found some so we had them for supper last nght! YUM-O!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can't wait to try it, looks sooooo good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since when is cheese allowed in phase one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On sheet 1 of the "snacks" for phase 1 under the heading "Cheese" it tells you that you are allowed 1/8 of a pack of 200g Allegro cheese. They also sell it in the clinic store for phase one. Since I use a whole block in a recipe that is 8-10 servings, you could use the whole block in your recipe. If you haven't read the book or read through the handouts thoroughly, I suggest you do so because you could come up with lots of recipe ideas you may not have thought of.

      Delete
    2. Hey Leigh!!! thanks again for another recipie. We can not wait to try this one out!!.. one question though. What kind or where do you find the turkey sausage that is poon friendly? Most i found were high in sodium. Maybe im not looking at the right place.

      Thanks
      Karyn

      Delete
    3. Hi Karyn,

      I get my turkey sausage from an independent butcher in Hamilton. I don't honestly know how much sodium is involved, just that they are really low fat. If you're really worried about the sodium, you could leave the sausage out all together and add more chicken breast. I'm sure it would still be yummy:)

      Delete
  7. I have been eating this everyday since the 9th of Sept. It's now the 12th. After I ate it the first time I had to question the cook about it's validity for Phase 1. I would eat this everyday for lunch even if I were not a poonie. As for turkey sausage we made our own from ground turkey breast using a recipe for pork sausage. Then we grilled the sausage Jimmy Dean (my favorite) style befor crumbling into this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just made it. Smells sooooo good. Can't wait to eat it for lunch all week! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What can be used in place of cauliflower?

    ReplyDelete