Friday, October 30, 2015
Tuesday, October 27, 2015
- Meanwhile, Tuesday on Instagram...
- It's just after 5am and I'm enjoying this protein smoothie. I drink mine from a Pyrex measuring cup. How do you take yours? Off to meet my maker. AKA Tony. Not sure what he has in store for me this morning but it always starts with HIIT.
- Then later this morning I have to go see Dr Patterson. There's a large hard lump on my right upper arm near my armpit. It's not as big today as it was yesterday, but it's still there. I managed to stay away from Dr. Patterson for 2 weeks. Perhaps he'll be impressed with my restraint. Afterwards I'm working from home. I'm owed thousands of dollars in mileage. I'm a tool. I've not claimed it yet. I need to get that done today. It's not like I don't need the money...
- Today's last word is about some body lotion and army boots. You know what would have been a good transformation Tuesday photo? The army boots before and after they got cleaned up. I bought them used at an army surplus store near work. Thirty bucks. I know that's more than my clothing budget usually allows, but if I bought them new, they would have cost $140 and they wouldn't have been nicely worn in . Sent them to the cobbler to get cleaned up and voila. They look just like new. Thirty bucks for leather boots is a deal!
- Many of you are asking what kind of lotion I use. I was using Marc Anthony's Body Butter in Coconut Shea, but in the past I've used whatever was on sale. Because, you know me:-) My faves were Nivea Q10 Plus Firming Body Lotion and Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Firming Butter. Whoa! That's a mouthful! I've just run out of Marc Anthony's stuff and I'm going back to Palmer's. Keeping your body hydrated and your skin moisturized during weight loss will help with your skin's elasticity. I lost all my weight after 40 and I lost a lot. Something my mother always instilled in me was to moisturize! I think it made a huge difference in my abdomen and my legs. My arms were helpless...
- Speaking of my arms. That's me after leaving Dr. Patterson's office. He legit thinks I'm nuts. Took a look at my arms and said, "you know that the swelling will not go away for another 2-5 months right?" I asked about my arms of steel that I want by next month, he said they'll not be happening till summertime. He drained the right arm, but the hard part by my armpit? He said that will just eventually go away. Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. Told me to keep the compression sleeves on when I work out (which I've not been doing) and I can ditch my lower compression garment that I wore for the lipo. And he said in regards to my thighs; moisturize, moisturize, moisturize...
Sunday, October 25, 2015
- Today I have to get my shit together. Gym, grocery shopping and clothing organizing. And I've got to figure out a Mega Man costume for next weekend. Lots and lots to do. And I need to purge. So much clothing to donate. Julien and I both have tons of stuff...
- This describes me perfectly. Especially asking about food. Today I pushed myself at the gym. Tony would be proud. Especially since I did all the things I hate the most. Including push-ups:-( I had a massive sweat on the entire time and I was tired when I left. Tired and fecken hungry! I've still got to go grocery shopping so I had to swing into No Frills before coming home to get eggs, avocado and tomato. That's what I wanted. I scrambled a 1/2 dozen eggs, sliced up the tomato and avocado and sautéed an entire package of mushrooms and ate the entire thing. I'm hungry still. Some days I can't eat and some days I can't eat enough.
- I struck up a conversation with the woman on the treadmill beside me while I was doing HIIT. She asked what I was doing and I explained how HIIT is an effective fat burner and helps boost your metabolism. She was walking to warm up before she met with her trainer and she told me that I had her goal body. She said I had muscular legs and was evenly proportioned. That was very humbling to hear because I always admire other women who have what I consider my goal body.
- She's embarking on a weight loss and fitness journey and said that it's always so hard to stay motivated. Then I told her that if I could do it, so could she. She stared at me for a pregnant pause and I said, "I used to weigh over 300 pounds". She shook her head and said "you did not"! I showed her my picture from my last transformation Tuesday and she said she couldn't believe that was me because I look lean and muscular.
- Then she asked if I've had a tummy tuck. That's always my most asked question. I told her about my arms and liposuction and said that my tummy isn't a huge issue for me. She said that she feared excessive loose skin after weight loss. I told her that's a minor worry compared to regaining her health. Then I told her to moisturize, moisturize, moisturize. The best (along with water consumption) but most overlooked advice for weight loss. What an interesting conversation though. She was so lovely and I saw her working hard with her trainer in the upper gym 45 minutes later. Had to tell her how awesome I thought she was before I left:-)
- Now here's something that hasn't happened in a while. The last word with Smitty. Today was a bit of a write off. The weather sucked the life outta me. It's 8pm and I'm ready for bed. I've not eaten dinner and I'm not going to. That insatiable hunger I had after the gym? Gone. I had some spoonfuls of nut butter and an apple for my dinner:-( So basic.
- No laundry is done. No groceries have been bought. No clothes have been sorted. But I did venture out to Party City and I got a Halloween costume for the boy. I'm a liar and I deserve to be sent to bed without dinner. Okay! Heading there now:-) Today is the first day I've not worn either dressings or compression sleeves on my arms. Felt weird and freeing. It's windy out. I just want to crawl under some covers and sleep. So that's what I'm going to do...
- I just spent an hour and a half of pure joy at the gym. I'm talking smack. It sucked today. But I kept my promise to Tony of going 2 more times before I saw him again on Tuesday. I got drenched in sweat. I cried. I raged. I felt hopelessness and despair and finally elation when I was done. I think I covered all the emotions. I did notice that my ass was huge in the gym mirror. Worked my glutes a lot and got that muscle pump. It will be gone by noon.
- Wanna know what I have no patience for? Mean girls. Encountered them today at the gym snarking on a woman who was doing her very best and getting her fitness in. She was larger set and has my utmost respect for getting active. It's not easy. I know. I gave them some sharp looks. They gave me side eye (I'm sure it was because of what I was wearing as well as the sharp looks). Then I reminded them to read the gym rules posted all over the place about inclusion and the gym being a non-judgmental place. One of them gave me the finger as per the mirror reflection evidence when I turned my back to them. Meh, their smirk game may be strong but their humanity game is weak. Karma can be a real bitch...
Saturday, October 24, 2015
- Meanwhile, Wednesday on Instagram...
- It's coffee time and I went to bed last night at 8pm. You'd think I'd feel well rested right now. Nope. Groggy as hell. Hoping coffee will perk me up. Back to the old grind today. Gotta shake it and get moving. Team meeting this morning followed by pot luck lunch then back to back meetings. Busy day. See what happens when you're away from work for a few days?
- My body is so stiff and achy this morning. Most notably my shoulders and abs. Those damn pull-ups and crunches. Now that my house guest is gone new rules in place. No wine for a while and back to strict Paleo.
- Yesterday I brought him for Vietnamese in Toronto. I eat there all the time so there are options for me and they basically accommodate me any way I ask them to. Thought I'd treat myself and get Pho (which surprised the guy who takes my order). Huge, huge mistake. The stomach cramps that followed weren't worth it. And I know how grains affect me. So it's back to the basics. Protein and lots and lots of veggies. I feel best when I fuel with the good stuff...
- This is my current situation. Gotta pop the melatonin and hopefully reprogram my sleeping. It's been pitiful over the past week or so. Such incredibly restless and broken sleep patterns. Gotta fix this because I'm mostly exhausted all the time and I'm not sure how I'm functioning properly. Plus, I'm getting back into my heavy training schedule and sleep builds muscles.
- This does not help me fall asleep. What it does is help me stay asleep. I've no problem falling asleep but I wake up several times throughout the night and if you add up the actual sleep time I get, it's probably only about 4 hours. I got some comments on Instagram about the dangers of melatonin and that I'm taking too high a dosage. This has worked for me as per my doctor's instruction because I do not want to take prescribed sleeping aids. I take melatonin for a week, and my sleeping returns to normal. I've used it off and on over the past couple of years when my sleep gets messed up. Especially when I'm dealing with a lot of anxiety.
- I'm off to bed. Tomorrow I'm up at 4:30 to get to the gym. I'm doing 20 minutes of HIIT, 1/2 hour of legs, 15 minutes chest and 15 minutes core. I prefer legs to anything else. My leg game is strong...
- Meanwhile, Thursday on Instagram...
- There's no crying at the gym. Unless I'm doing the trap bar. Then my crying game is strong. But my grip is weak...
- The dreaded trap bar
- Back extensions
- Pull ups
- Push ups
- Knee lifts
- Single arm pulls
- Other stuff I don't know the names of
- The good news is my push-up game is strong. The bad news is that I've promised to do them everyday. Ugh. Hate them right along with the pull-ups. I've also promised to go to the gym two times before I see Tony next Tuesday. Help me...
- It's Throwback Thursday and I found this picture at my in-laws house. It was taken around the campfire of my husband's family cottage. I look thrilled don't I? And don't even about what I'm wearing on my feet. I'm not sure why and I have no defense for my footwear choice. Lots of cute wide width shoes available. This is probably circa 2005. And if you're wondering, when I stood up, the chair came with me. I was gingerly sitting in it hoping that it wouldn't break. Resin's not that strong.
- When I look at this photo it makes me sad. I feel a disconnect with that woman and I'm not sure how I feel about that. She's an incredibly important part of my journey. Without her struggles, I wouldn't be where I am now. Nor would I be where I am without her determination. I never feel ashamed or embarrassed when I see these pictures of myself. There are reasons why I struggled for all those years and it's made me stronger. But she was strong too. I've the utmost respect for her because she never gave up...
- Meanwhile, Friday on Instagram...
- It's coffee time and you wanna know what today is? Massage day. And I could use it so badly. Right now my hamstrings, glutes and delts are beyond achy. And before I start getting the inevitable messages about how I'm pushing myself too hard, I'm using new muscle groups and doing different exercises at the gym. Just working through the kinks here. No pain, no gain. I'll feel like a million bucks tomorrow and go back to the gym to do it all over again.
- There's no point in having goals if you don't push and challenge yourself. And I need to really work my upper body. That's where I'm weakest. Long term goal is to be able to do unassisted pull-ups this time next year. Yesterday Tony wanted to see if I could hold myself up unassisted on the pull-up bar. Major fail. All I managed to do was get some good wind as I fell to the ground. I still get the giggles thinking about it. Work today and hanging with my sister later. Haven't seen her in a while and I'm missing her...
- This happened today. My massage therapist spent my hour session just working on my back, glutes and hamstrings. It hurt. It was enjoyable, not at all:-( He did tell me my thighs looked good and he could feel definition in my glutes. So there was that. But I felt abused afterwards. He advised me to come back sooner than a month because I'm so stiff. He only worked on my back end. Didn't even flip me over today. I do have to admit that I feel looser than I did this morning. But it's after 1pm now. It's only taken all day. Really, really looking forward to hanging with my sister later. Winetime will be mucho welcome...
Wednesday, October 21, 2015
The post about one month post op, my first upper body day in a month and an over-priced elevator ride...
- My scar. Sexy isn't it? Not! But it's coming along swimmingly. I'm proud of this scar because it represents my journey. And I found a script that I'd like to tattoo over my scar. I may just tattoo one arm and leave the other scar au natural. The script will read:
I love the person I've become because I fought to become her.
- So appropriate for my journey. Right now I'm marinating strip loin steaks and roasting beets. It's a steak, beet salad, mushroom and sauteed cabbage kinda day. After dinner my house guest and I are gonna saunter over to Buddy's to watch the Blue Jays game. Fingers and toes crossed we break outta this slump. It's election day in Canada. Did you exercise your civic duty? Go vote Canada...
- Meanwhile, Tuesday on Instagram...
- Operating on 3.5 hours sleep. The gym should be interesting. I could go to sleep right now. All I want is to be done at the gym. And coffee. I want coffee. I may have to go back to bed when I get home. Today my house guest leaves. We're going to hang out at the CN Tower before I drop him at the airport. Haven't been there since middle school. Time to get outta my car and hit the treadmill. HIIT awaits me...
- 20 mins of HIIT ✔
- 10 reps each of ring pulls and pushups x4 sets ✔
- Assisted pull ups 10 reps x 4 sets ✔
- Dumbbells 2 different lifts 10 reps x 4 sets ✔
- Core circuit 3 exercises of 10 reps x 4 sets
- Today's workout felt strange. My scars pulled. But it felt gross, not painful. I belted out the push-ups which surprised me. The hardest thing to do was the pull-ups and core. Shoulders and core are my weak areas. Hence what Tony will be working the most on me in the next little while. Highlight of my workout? Stripping down to my sports bra in the staff room to show off my arm scars. I should have sold tickets. Time to eat all the protein. I need a nap but maybe a shower will do...
- Wanna know what the biggest rip off in Toronto is? Paying $40 to go up the CN Tower. The outside deck was closed due to the weather. It was fecken overcast. Not sure how that constitutes bad weather. I've not been up the tower for years. But there has been no updating done. Everything is old and out dated. If you're gonna charge that kind of money, make it worth it. Probably spent 20 minutes up there, for $40. Such a waste of money. My house guest was not impressed.
- He's heading home as we speak. Brought him to the airport this evening. After the CN Tower we hit the Wheat Sheaf which is the oldest tavern in Toronto. Better deal there. Half priced appetizers. Thank God we didn't stay to watch the game. Too painful. I'm dozing here. Popped some Melatonin and I'm heading to sleep. Felt like a zombie all day. Three and a half hours of sleep is brutal. Hoping to get 7 hours tonight. I've got muscles to grow...
Monday, October 19, 2015
- There I am at the Toronto Marlies game. I'm not gonna lie. It was pretty lame. I really do not appreciate hockey. I should. I come from a hockey obsessed family, and you know...I'm Canadian. Saturday was quite the day. Went to the Exhibition for the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon Expo and my friend got his race bib. But first we went to the airport because when he flew in, the airline lost his luggage. He's been here since Thursday with just his carry on. All his running gear was in his luggage. Even though his luggage landed yesterday, we left the airport without his luggage because the airline that lost it didn't start working till 3pm. So after the Marlies game, we went back to the airport and finally located his luggage. Ugh, ugh, ugh. Then we watched the Blue Jays lose again...
- Meanwhile, Sunday on Instagram...
- Busy morning so far. #Coffeetime happened at 5:30am. I was in the shower at 4:30am and out my door by 6:30am. I had to get my friend to Toronto in time for the gun. He's running the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon today. I'm spectating. Taking a warm up break in the Eaton Center right now but I'll be making my way back outside to see who wins. There was a large group of elite runners participating. Being here makes me miss running like I used to. I was always training for a race. After boxing happens, I'll register for another half marathon. I love the challenge. Thank God the finish line is super close to the Eaton Center. I've 3.5 hours to kill. Some shopping might be in order. I need a winter jacket. Did I mention it's snowing???
1st place male Ishhimael Chemtan
1st place female Shure Demise
1st place Canadian male Eric Gillis
1st place Canadian female Lanni Marchant
- Congratulations to Eric and Lanni. Both have qualified for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro. This will be Eric's 3rd Olympics! Go Team Canada!!!!
- As exciting as it was to watch the elites run in, I feel sick to my stomach right now. One of the 1/2 marathon runners collapsed at the finish line and fell through the barrier. The first aid crew got to him quickly, but by the time EMS got there he had no vital signs and they cut his shirt open and were pumping his chest as they took him away on stretcher. So incredibly hard to watch. Praying very hard right now...
1st place male Ishhimael Chemtan
1st place female Shure Demise
1st place Canadian male Eric Gillis
1st place Canadian female Lanni Marchant
Saturday, October 17, 2015
- #coffeetime #thickthighthursday
- Horseshoe Falls
- I love this because it is 100% true. It's great to find inspiration in others, but finding it in yourself is what is going to make your journey a success. I love following fitness journeys and seeing before and after pics of weight loss, body builders and strength training progress shots. Lets me know what's possible with a lot of hard work. My biggest motivation is seeing my own progress though. Noticing changes is my body, even though it takes time and I have to be patient, is very motivating for me. Makes me excited to see where I'll be a year from now...
Wednesday, October 14, 2015
- Check it out! I was just gifted with this selfie stick by my brother in law. This is my first official photo with it:-) This opens up a whole new world of picture possibilities!
Today thus far...
- I never ran this morning. There was a jigsaw puzzle crisis at my house. Julien is working on a puzzle that we leave out on the dining room table. We do it bit by bit. My father thought it should be put away. He didn't realize what it was. He meant well but Julien was upset. My dad felt bad and Julien didn't want to upset him so suddenly the puzzle became our morning's work. I was able to restore it to pre-Poppy state. Everyone is happy again.
- Then we had to hightail it to Toronto for Julien's birthday celebration with my in laws. And our family Thanksgiving dinner. Julien's uncle bought him an awesome cake that looked delicious. I ate a ton of melon so I'm all good. Lots of protein and veggies were eaten today. I'm stuffed. I think I'm done for the day food wise. Only downside is that I didn't have turkey on turkey day...
- 20 mins of HIIT ✔
- 10 reps x 3 sets of hack squats with 35 pound kettlebell✔
- Heel taps w 2 x 25 pound dumbbells 10 rep x 3 sets ✔
- Walking lunges w 2 x 25 pound dumbbells 3 lengths ✔
- Hamstring curls 10 rep x 3 sets at 30 pounds ✔
- 10 minutes of core drills ✔
- If nothing else, Tony has promised me an ass you can bounce a quarter off of. I'll take 2 cheeks please. I'm 3 weeks post op today...
- A throwback pic from this summer. This is my abdomen. I was recently asked if I think my skin bounced back so well because of diet and/or exercise. I can't really be sure. I started running when I was 230 pounds. And you use 5 stomach muscles when you run. That could be it. But I also followed a low fat diet for weight loss. That could be it too.
- I lost my weight very steadily. Pretty much 10 pounds a month for about 12 months. Then the last 10-15 pounds happened over the last 3 months. I lost about 135 pounds in 15 months before I called maintenance myself. I never reached my "healthy BMI" as per the chart (well I did the following fall for a hot minute while recovering from my broken ankle). But I wear size 8/10 (depending on the brand) and a medium top. I'm still considered overweight by BMI standards. I think BMI is a crock of shit. But that's my opinion. All body builders are morbidly obese on the BMI chart.
- One thing that I did do and still do religiously is moisturize. That is a practice my mother drilled into my head at a young age. And moisturizing improves skin elasticity. That's why Dr. Patterson has me moisturize the crap out of my arms and thighs post op. So perhaps that has been the most helpful for my skin bouncing back so well following extreme weight loss. Or maybe it's just good genes...