Friday, November 20, 2015

The post about unplugging...




  • I posted this to Instagram, Twitter and my Poonapalooza Facebook page. I'm taking a social media break. To be honest, I've no idea when I'll be back. And I'm not 100% sure that I will write here again. Over the past few months I've had some negativity towards my blog via mostly anonymous comments that never make it past my eyes. I've been called narcissistic, vain, uncaring, the usual stuff. And it gets to me much less than it used to. I accidentally deleted 4 comments I received earlier this week. One of them asked me what happened to me and said I've likely lost a lot of readers because of the direction my blog has gone (being vain with all the selfies). I appreciate my readers, especially the one's that have hung around for the long haul. But I've never written this blog for them.
  • My blog has always been written for me. I started it 4 years ago to keep myself accountable during my weight loss. And although the focus changed after I went on maintenance, I still wrote because chronicling how much work maintenance is was important to me. Everyone focuses on the weight loss portion of lifestyle change, but no one wants to know what is involved with maintaining the weight loss. That is the most important part. Everyone has this skewed idea about how life will be perfect once the weight is off. It doesn't work that way. I had that same fantasy in my head. I wasn't prepared for the major self esteem issues or the on going planning and effort that came with maintenance. 
  • I take a lot of pictures of myself. And I do that for me. No one else. The truth is, I've never paid any mind to how many followers I have. I've gotten quite a bit of media exposure over the past few years. And with that comes offers from companies to promote products in exchange for more exposure and financial gain. I have never accepted any offer that has come my way. I have always wanted to keep the integrity of my blog. I lost the weight through diet (Dr. Poon's Metabolic Diet) and exercise. That's all I would ever promote on here. I don't care to mislead anyone by shilling diet products that I have never used to make money. So the fact that my blog, Facebook, Twitter and Instagram has stayed at a relatively small following is perfectly fine by me. I have never called myself an inspiration or tried to market myself as one.
  • I am flattered that some people are motivated by my weight loss success. But I am no one special. I am just a woman who has lost weight and continues the daily struggle to keep it off. Many share my story. The person you should find inspiration in is yourself. That's why I photograph myself. I am inspired by my achievements over the last 4 years and seeing myself as I am now, inspires me to keep moving forward. Because the day I stop photographing myself and being proud of the way I look, is the day that I have fallen back into my old habits. And that would also be the day I put my health and fitness on the back burner. My ultimate goal is to never see that day again.
  • I am a genuinely nice and caring person. I work in a field where all I do is care for others and part of the reason I'm unplugging right now is because I need to find balance in my family, work and personal life. Sometimes it all becomes overwhelming. I may not respond to every comment posted because keeping up with 4 forms of social media while working full time and commuting and mothering can be daunting. But I do respond to each and every email I receive (I try to respond within a week of receiving it). I even respond to the negative ones that attack me. And even those I respond to in a respectful manner. 
  • I will not shut this blog down, and I may return to it. Or I may start an entirely new blog once I start boxing training which would focus on that part of my life. Who knows? I've some planning and soul searching to do. Whatever I plan to do, I will be writing for me again. You are more than welcome to come along for the ride though. Peace out:-)

30 comments:

  1. I will miss your blogs following you has helped me stay focus and helped me stay on maintenance I do not always make a comment but I read every post seems negative people are everywhere and think most are jealous of your success just keep going as I am sure you have inspired many of your followers wish to thank you for one of your devoted followers

    ReplyDelete
  2. As someone who has "battled the bulge" all of my adult life, I find your story very inspirational. For the naysayers out there, they have issues of their own that they should be dealing with other than critiquing you, I think.
    I wish you great success with your boxing and would be happy to follow you in your new or existing blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will miss your blogs. How to be in touch with you ?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE your blog and Twitter account. I HATE anonymous trolls who disparage things they don't understand. I try to imagine what small minds come up with the garbage that spout, but can't really relate.

    I hope you do come back with a blog on your boxing progress. I think that would be very interesting. I love your sense of humor. Hang in there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love reading about you, good luck in your future you have worked so hard to accomplish such great things, I applaud you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too will miss your posts. I have looked forward to them for the past couple of years. Best of luck to you. You are an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the break - I know you'll use the time wisely! It has been a privilege to be a part of your online life ☺

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also love your blog and Twitter account. Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I will miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've followed you from day one I think. We started running and blogging at about the same time and I have garnered so much inspiration from you it's ridiculous! I will miss reading your blog. I am especially disappointed to think about not hearing how the boxing turns out for you. However, I respect your decision and hope to at least see something on IG in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never commented but I checked you blog daily and have enjoyed it (yo) I have lost 100 lbs and reading you blog has helped me maintain my loss. losing weight is easy compared to keeping it off for the long haul. So far, 6 month in the struggle and it is that every day. The mind trips me up again and again. But I will win

    Chrissy in WI ( I didn't want to be anonymous)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I check in and read your blog regularly and I really enjoy it! Take care and good luck I'll miss reading about what your up to. -Beth in IL

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm glad you are keeping the blog rather than deleting it since it's a record of all your hard work. In this life, which is so short anyway, who has time for negativity? Keep on truckin' Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Glad you don't let the negative Nellies get you down. I haven't made it to goal and maybe I never will. But I need the inspiration I get from those of you who have and have maintained that loss. I'm proud of you, and I hope I can continue to follow your blog, but if you decide not to come back I totally understand and wish you only the best.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I will miss your blog very much. Your photos, comments and coffee time is all inspirational to me. I will check back to make sure I don't miss when you do repost again. Sometimes a break is good, but when you said you were going to take a break, I felt disappointed. Best of luck to you!! There are very few maintenance bloggers... many weight loss bloggers, so you have something unique going.
    Chris B at healthydietmotivation.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Every time I find a good blog this happens!!!!!ugh!!! Can't you just block the jealous idiots???

    ReplyDelete
  16. Leigh, I truly love reading your posts. I found you from another blog a couple of years ago. You have inspired me to start strength training. I know for me you have been a motivation and inspiration. People have lives that they hate and are small minded. Please don't stop taking selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Will miss you. I hope you do not allow anonymous comments. Take care of yourself and enjoy your unplugged time. Don't let the turkey's get you down. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've never commented before but I've enjoyed reading about fitness and your achievements. There aren't many "regular" people out there who blog about their daily successes, mostly just people who are lucky enough not to have to work and can go out for three hours a day. You could consider making it an invited blog.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahh why are there such cruel people that make you feel unhappy and make your true followers suffer because of your stop blogging. I am so sorry for your unhappiness when you make others happy. Thank you for this blog. Happy trails. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas. Hope you will return and I will be aware of it.LN

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well I hope you come back or let us know how to view any new blogs. As you know I've been reading for awhile and I read every post. Will miss you :(

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Leigh, that is unfortunate for you to be leaving your blog....I was really looking forward to the 'after' surg pics! I am an avid recreational runner and have lost over 50lbs 4x (1x pre babies and 3x post babies), I battle the daily struggles of maintenance as well and am considering surgery in 2016 to bring my breasts back and lipo in the rear, same as you. All the best to you in the future wherever it takes you. I will miss reading your blog! Lianne in Ottawa, ON

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are looking great - and feeling great? I think you might be! Fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  23. dear leigh- i have followed your posts for a long time and have emailed a couple times. you responded and were so real. i am like others who got so much inspiration from your work ethic, ambition and humor. how in hell does she get all that done in a day? :) screw the haters because they don't matter- you beat almost impossible odds and we are proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Weird feeling I have right now. Found myself scrolling through my Instagram not having seen a post of yours in days..... It brought me here. I wish you nothing but continued blessings. Hope to see you with a coffee or a glass a wine again soon. Good luck.
    REALTOWN

    ReplyDelete
  25. Take time ...
    Take Care ...

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  26. Just checking in (I haven't in awhile) and read this. If I photographed as well as you do (as in, look that good!!) I'd photograph myself more often. Good luck with your future plans - you are a total inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow your blog is so motivating. I will miss it! You have to keep going for yourself! Proud of your accomplishments and I hope you will continue! Btw I love selfies.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Unplugging is essential! Looking forward to your new blog though :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Still missing you. :( Hope you have a great Christmas.

    ReplyDelete