Sunday, April 21, 2013

Breaking up is hard to do

Cold but happy to be back home after my 16K!

Saturday morning's run was a shock to the system.  I ran Thursday night in VERY warm conditions (27C), rested Friday, and woke up Saturday morning to 1C with gale force winds and flurries.  I had my long run (16K) yesterday and I did the same route I did the week before.  Up the escarpment to the end of the trail and back.  Going up the escarpment wasn't too bad.  It was sheltered.  But as soon as I got to the top of the escarpment and ran across an open field, the winds and cold really made it difficult to run.  It felt like I was running on the spot sometimes!  Gale forced winds and crampy toes aside, I ran at a pretty decent clip.  I kept up a 6:37 pace for 16K.  I was surprised because I normally don't run that fast on my own.  Must mean I'm getting faster!

After I cleaned up after my run yesterday, Hubby the Boy and I went to Value Village.  Julien and I are reading the Captain Underpants series and we were missing one book.  I was sure that VV would have the missing book, and sure enough they delivered.  Hubby is in desperate need of some new clothes and he looked around for 10 minutes before coming back to where I was with Julien to announce that there was nothing to be bought!  I told him that I'd go and look and within 15 minutes, I had 8 shirts for him that we ended up buying.  Name brand tops too like Banana Republic, Gap, Tommy Hilfiger.  I'm telling you, I missed my calling.  I should become a thrift store personal shopper!

Yesterday was a pretty lazy day.  I guess my week of running and my busy life in general caught up to me.  I was lying in bed reading around 8pm, Julien came to join me around 8:30, and before I knew it, we were both asleep.  I woke a few times before midnight before calling it a night for good. My early night called for an early morning.  I was up at my regular time of 5:30 this morning, but I felt totally rejuvenated!

I was at the Running Room for 8:30 this morning.  I lead my 10K clinic in a 5K run.  What a great group of people!  Different groups at different paces made for a problem solving run, but I did it.  I was solo this morning because Monica was running the Toronto Yonge Street 10K (which incidentally she kicked ass at...yes I stalked her results).  We did an out and back route, so I stayed near the front for the first 2.5K, then after I clocked the distance and figured out where the turning point was, I took up the rear with a slower runner.  We came up with a plan to work on her speed and I'm confident I can help her improve her pace before the end of the clinic.  She has running endurance, but just needs to work on getting faster.  Running with someone who will push her, will definitely help.  She can actually run faster than she thinks, she just needs a bit of encouragement which will build her confidence and get her there.  Challenge accepted!

He really just wants the Happy Meal toy...

Today was a fun day with Julien.  He got his monthly, or in this case bi-monthly treat at McDonald's today.  We haven't been for at least two months.  I don't encourage him to ever eat at McDonald's, but once in a while, he'll remember to ask and I'll give in and let him have lunch there. I get coffee, because it's actually not too bad.  Better than Tim Horton's in my opinion.  And cheaper. While he's playing in the play place, I can get as many free coffees as I want!  Let me clarify.  I could get free coffees, but I think I only did that once.  Nice to know the option is there if I want it.

Afterwards Jules helped me grocery shop for the week.  Lots of chicken thighs because they were on sale this week.  And I got a good deal on extra lean ground beef too.  My slow cooker was working at full force this weekend.  Bolognese sauce yesterday to go with my spaghetti squash, and curried chicken with rutabaga today.  I also stocked up on sunflower seeds, dried prunes and figs.  Told hubby that this is what  he snacking on for the week.  He was not amused.  But I also got us tons of fresh fruit, so he can't complain!  It's not easy to give up everything you're used to. He'll get used to it in time.  I certainly did and I feel so much better for it.

It's been a full week without artificial sweeteners.  I'm not sure if sleeping has anything to do with sweeteners, but I find my sleeps are much better.  I'm sleeping deeper which means I'm better rested.  I'll blame my lack of sleep in the past on the sweeteners. Why not? I blamed everything on processed sugar and carbs in the past.  I might as well give artificial sweeteners a bad rap too! For anyone reading this who thinks they can't  give up certain foods in their life, think of me and know that if I can do it, so can you.  If you had told me two years ago that I would swear off processed carbs, refined sugar, dairy, and all the other garbage I loved and thought I could never live without, I would have laughed you outta town.  Trust me, it can be done and all it takes is determination and the desire to be the healthiest you can be.  I've never felt better in my entire life and there's nothing I could eat now that would make it worth going back to where I was nineteen months ago. Absolutely nothing!  And all the former crap I ate?  We've broken up for good, and we are never ever ever ever getting back together (I know, totally cheesy but I couldn't resist)!