Sunday, April 28, 2013

The post where we got treated to dinner!

Friday was quite the eventful day.  I had an early morning massage, then I got fitted for my orthotics, then I went into the office to do student interviews, then I went to physio to get my feet stripped which hurt like (insert expletive here), then I finally made it home past seven to eat my dinner.  A busy day overall!  By Friday night I was exhausted, but not enough NOT to play Scrabble on my phone.  I downloaded it while I was at the symposium on Thursday and have since become addicted.  I'm not gonna lie.

Saturday was just as busy.  It was a scale back week for my half marathon training.  I was only suppose to do 12K for my long run.  My hubby had to do some volunteer drives at 9am, so I was out of the house early to complete my long run.  I was home before nine and then I readied myself for the day, ate lunch and took Jules to a school friend's FOUR hour birthday party in a park. Although the parents said I could leave and come back for the swimming component, I didn't feel comfortable leaving him with a bunch of strangers.  That was a bit torturous.  But hubby stepped up and took over for the swimming part of the party.  Thank goodness.  I don't have a bathing suit. The one I wore last year was miles too big on me and I got rid of it.  When I tried it on last month, the top did not fit at all.  You could see stuff if I moved around.  I was going to go swimming if I had running gear!  While hubby and Jules swam, I walked Finn 6K.  Then got home just in time to get ready for dinner out while hubby went to get our babysitter.

We were treated to a lovely dinner out with friends last night.  Dave and Liz took us out to a steak house called the Keg (I know those living in Ontario know the Keg, but I explain for everyone else). Dave and Liz are dear friends of ours.  There's always reason to celebrate with them.  We don't see them nearly enough, and in four more months, they are welcoming a bundle of baby joy into their lives!  I'm super excited for them and can't wait to meet their son or daughter.  It was also nice to get out for a night with adults only for a change!

The four of us at the Keg.  Liz has a baby bump!

The Keg was a great choice for us to eat at.  We are all pretty much following similar diets.  I was able to stay on plan (with the exception of bacon bits on my salad).  I had a wedge salad with oil and vinegar for dressing, a New York strip loin steak with asparagus, mixed veggies and sauteed mushrooms.  I also had a glass of red wine while we waited to be seated.  I  was pretty stuffed when we were done.  It was a lot of food!  And really yummy.  I haven't had a good steak in ages. It was a real nice treat from some great friends!

My wedge salad.

My entree.  I washed this down with LOTS of water.

Last night I got to play a little bit of dress up.  I never go out, so I thought I'd attempt some night-time make-up like Kristjan taught me.  It was fun to play around and I think I did a pretty decent job.  I did smokier eyes like he showed me and it did make me look a bit more polished for a night-time look.  I also wore a printed blouse that a friend gave me because it was too big for her.  I wasn't sure how I would wear it, but I think I did a good job pairing it with my dark denim, plum jacket and pointy heels.  It was fun dressing it up with some accessories too.  All in all, I had fun dressing up last night.  I think I'm finally getting the hang of this fashion thing!

The entire look taken from
an awkward angle.
Close up of the face.  My bangs are getting long,
but I kinda like them.

This morning I was up early again so I could run with my 10K clinic.  It was a beautiful morning for a run.  Crisp and sunny.  We ran at 8:30 am and we had quite a large group come out.  Sixteen people not including Monica and I.  We did a 6K LSD (long slow distance) with the group, then Monica and I tacked on an extra 4K at the end.  All in all I ran 46K last week.  Tomorrow is supposed to be a rest day, but I think I may have to get up and do a quick 6K before getting ready for work.  I love running in the morning and it's just such a good start to my day.  Rest may have to wait till Friday!  I ran six days last week and think I like that routine better than my usual five days.  

I almost forgot,  I got my orthotics on Friday.  I've been wearing them around the house and out for short errands to get used to them.  They do feel awkward because there's a pronounced lump higher in my arch.  It's supposed to keep my toes straight which will keep them from curling and prevent them from cramping.  I'm not supposed to run with them for another couple of weeks, and then I'm just supposed to wear them for short runs.  I'm not looking forward to running 18K this coming weekend.  I already know that my toes are gonna cramp something horrible.  As I get faster and my feet hit the ground more frequently, my toes cramp even earlier.  I may just have to stop half way and walk it out a bit before I run the second half.  I was told that I should be able to wear the orthotics for the Niagara Women's Half Marathon on June 2nd.  I hope so. I'm still hoping to run a 2:15 half or better.  

I'm off to read...or play Scrabble.  Well if I have to be completely honest, I'm off to play Scrabble.  I really should read because the eBook that I borrowed from the library is going to expire soon.  And I do need to find out if Kate and Aidan are going to make it or not.  I mean they've already "made it", but is it going to be forever?  Decisions, decisions.  I should do my taxes!  I'm getting money back and I need it.  I've had nothing but car repairs this month.  Tomorrow after grocery shopping I will get the taxes done.  Maybe I should just go to bed.  I'm making no sense now and just talking gibberish.  Bed it is!  G'night.