Sunday, June 23, 2013

Meredith Hagan Foundation Inspiration Run 10K

It's all about the bling!

Yesterday was awesome.  Me, my hubby, Monica and three of my clinic girls ran the Meredith Hagan 10K Inspiration Run.  It was a challenging run that took place in the trails of Mountsberg Conservation Area.  This was not my race.  It was the race for my clinic girls and I got the opportunity to run with each of them.  I've never run a 10K before and regardless of my time, I got a PB (personal best).  I started off running with my fastest girl, then I fell back and ran with my mid-paced girl and we crossed the finish line together.  After my chip timer was cut off my shoe, I ran back out on the trail and met up with my last clinic girl and got to cross the finish line with her as well.  I wasn't worried about my time.  I was there to support my girls.

Hubby and I just before gun time.

My official gun time was 1:16:29, my chip time was 1:16:08.  My hubby came in just in front of me and my clinic girl.  We placed 100, 101 and 102.  I came in 102.  Hubby was happy to beat me for a change.  I will definitely run this race again next year.  It is very challenging and I'm so proud of my girls.  It's not an easy run for your first 10K race.  They did awesome!  And so did my hubby. The terrain was very uneven.  We had mud bogs and rain to contend with.  And there was a huge hill they call Mount Kilimanjaro.  It is so tall and steep, that it's virtually unrunnable, unless you are an elite (they are the only ones who ran it last year).  I do a lot of hill training and I run a lot of hills and I can't run it.  It would take longer trying to run up it than it would take to walk up it!

Alanna, Amanda, Monica and I showing off our well earned bling.

Hubby and I; dirty and tired.

Needless to say my shoes are a muddy mess and I couldn't even go out for a celebratory lunch afterwards.  I was offensive!!!!!!  I was muddy, sweaty, wet from being rained on, and full of bug bites.  How did I forget insect repellent this year?  I also got a lot of sun on the bat wings!  It's all good though.  Tanned bat wings are slightly more unseemly than stark white bat wings!  After I got home, paid the babysitter and showered, I ate my recovery meal of pork souvlaki, garlic and lemon roasted cauliflower, and sauteed green beans.  Super yummy.  I hung out on my couch most of the afternoon because I was a bit wiped.  I needed to rest up because  I was going out for dinner and drinks with the Back of the Rat Pack Girls (minus Tanya) that evening.

My post race feast.

We went to a pretty swanky Italian Restaurant and I ordered a tuna Mediterranean salad.  It was super yummy and HUGE.  It filled me right up.  I had my two glasses of wine last night at the Winking Judge on Augusta Street.  It was great to catch up with my girls and I'm glad I got to see Dawn and Brett.  While we were hanging at the Winking Judge a school bus pulled up with a rowdy bunch of 30 somethings.  It turns out it was a stag and doe doing the Augusta Street crawl from 7:30 to 10:30 pm.  The Master of Ceremonies had the itinerary taped to his back.  Most people were in various stages of intoxication.  Humorous to watch to say the least!  Ahhhhh, to be young again!

I ended up taking a forced rest day today.  My ankle was really bothering me.  My orthotics and the trail run likely have something to do with it, but I think it had more to do with the heels I wore last night.  Regardless, I rested today which was a good call on my part because my ankle almost feels normal again.  I will get up at 5 am tomorrow and run then.  I always prefer running in the early morning anyway.  Tomorrow was supposed to be my rest day but I'll just switch them out. Marathon training starts one week from today.  I'm either very committed, or bat shit crazy.  Let's go with committed.