Sunday, February 23, 2014

The post about a blurry weekend, 35K and a panic attack


The three styles I fretted over all week.


  • The last five days are a blur. I barely remember what happened. I know I worked. I know I ran a lot. I know I socialized on Saturday. I know I saw my in-laws. I know I did a lot of chores. And I know I got my bangs cut. 
  • I was at an impasse last week. Didn't know if I should keep my bangs long, cut them a little, or cut them above the eyebrow. I know, real life altering stuff. So I did what any rational woman would do. I posted the question to Twitter and Instagram. The overwhelming consensus was that I cut my bangs again. Then I asked about the straight across bang or the side bang. The side bang won out, but I chose the straight across in the end. Which is fine. It will grow and then I can move to the side sweep. Thank you to my girlfriend Elin for doing the honours and doing an awesome job:)

Before, using the Flowbee (not really), and after!
Yeah, I look rough. I had a pretty shit day.
Wore my Canada hoodie in support of team Canada:)

  • Thursday morning I was supposed to run 9 hill repeats. I ended up having to skip my Thursday morning run due to time issues.  I had to be at the chiropodist for 9am. My chiropodist appointment was a bust. I went back with all my results for x-rays, ultrasound and MRI for the Morton's Neuroma, and nothing can be done beyond what has already been done because all avenues have been exhausted and I am a unique case. He did tell me to wear my useless orthotics for extra support. There's no bullets or lumps on the orthotics, they are just plain inserts with an imprint where the lump on the bottom of my foot forms during long runs.
  • The chiropodist appointment didn't mean I could skip my run altogether. I ran my hills on Friday night, and wore the orthotics. Friday is normally my rest day, but I had to follow the schedule, so Friday night I hauled my ass out to the McMaster hill and did my 9 hill repeats. I was alone except for a stray student who walked to the lower parking lot and the shuttle bus driver that passed me several times. Well them and the deer that crossed the road in front of me. Pretty animals. And after running 9 hills and almost 10.5K, I got a nice big blister on the arch of my foot from the orthotics. Awesome!
  • So Saturday morning rolls around and it is beautiful out. Sunny and -3C.  Only 13 hours passed from doing my hill repeats and I went out for another run. I know, I didn't rest up enough. But it was a great run, albeit quite slippery. Although it was slow, I didn't fall on my ass.  And my feet got soaked. I ran through a lot of half frozen puddles. 
  • Saturday afternoon I went to meet up with a group of people who follow Dr. Poon's diet. It was nice to finally meet in person some people I chat with on Facebook.  It was a good time talking about struggles, recipes and just supporting each other. Everyone is at different stages in weight-loss and everyone has useful tips and experiences to share.
  • Today was my long run day. I headed out just after 8am. Hubby was up early watching Team Canada play against Sweden for Hockey Gold. We won of course. I can barely remember my run. My legs felt like lead, and my mind was wandering. I was thinking about a million things at once and for the first time ever, I had a panic attack. Not just one but two. It was the weirdest thing. I suddenly felt like my chest was tightening and I had to stop and breathe deeply so that I could catch my breath. The second one happened shortly after the first one and I had to stop and take deep breaths again. Such a strange sensation. It  happened about 8K into my run and I was able to complete my run without any issue.  But for those few moments, I felt so bizarre and a little helpless. I'm thankful the feeling passed. 
  • I'm exhausted. I ran almost 35K this past weekend, and I need to sleep. I have to be on the road at 7am tomorrow. It's a rest day running wise, but I have a full work day, including dinner with my dad in the evening. Wishing you all a wonderful beginning to the week:)

My runs from this weekend.