Sunday, September 16, 2012

Are those skinny jeans you're wearing?

My first ever pair of
skinny jeans!

Why, yes they are.  Thank you for noticing.  I could have cried this morning.  I went to Value Village (thrift store) on Thursday, spent $150.00, and got an entire fall/winter wardrobe.  Love that place.  Where else can you buy Banana Republic khakis, and a Banana Republic button shirt that look just like new for $15?  Value Village, that's where!  Anyway, I easily get off topic.  I also got a pair of very low rise skinny jeans from Old Navy...and they fit like a dream.  No muffin top or anything!  All pants size 12, all tops size large (for more fitted ones) and medium.  I actually almost, ALMOST look skinny in my skinny jeans!

Tomorrow marks the one year anniversary of my lifestyle change.  I would give you an actual number of pounds lost, but I'm going for my official weigh-in on Wednesday...so I'm waiting till then to see where I am. I'm bummed I won't be seeing Dr. Stephen ('cos he doesn't work Wednesdays), but next time.  I'm going back to my every two week weigh-in starting on the 19th.  I'm back and forth to Peterborough every two weeks again, so I can book all my appointments in advance.  I did fine over the summer on my own, but I still like the routine of having official weigh-ins, as well as the accountability.  I'm hoping to get my "at goal" certificate by Christmas.  It would be the best Christmas present I could get!

Yesterday morning I ran my first 10k.  I upped my mileage significantly this week.  I ran 36k and burned just over 3000 calories.  That's up from 32k last week and a burn of 2670 calories.  That is of course not counting the calories I burn from walking Finn 6k about 5x per week, and the swimming calories.  I'm not too sure how much I burn swimming.  It's more recreational and while my hubby and I swap off minding the boy to get some laps in, I only do about 20 minutes of laps per pool session.  It's hard to say...OK, I just looked it up.  I burn 109 calories by swimming for 20 minutes.  That blows!  Running is a much more efficient calorie burner!

Contigo travel mugs.


I have a very horrific story to share.  I wasn't going to ever speak of this...but I feel like I need to share my trauma because so many people could run into the same ghastly experience I have. Lots of people have these coffee travel mugs from Costco.  I used mine every day for my drive to work. I'd finish my coffee on the way to work, bring it in the house with me when I got home, and hand wash it for the following morning.  Every weekend, it got put in the dishwasher.  A couple of times I had to get goopy sludge stuff out of the lid with a skewer.  It was gross, but would build up over time.   The one thing I didn't like about the mug was it was next to impossible to clean the lid properly.

So a couple of days ago I'm driving to work and drinking away.  I'm about 45 minutes into my commute.  I can feel things falling on my upper lip every time I take a swig of coffee.  I put the mug into my cup holder, and notice something moving on the top.  I take a closer look to discover...MAGGOTS!!!!!!!!!  That's right folks, I was drinking maggots.  What was my reaction? Well, I didn't lose control of the wheel as expected. I simply shrugged, put the mug in the back seat holder after killing all live maggots I could see (about 3), drove to work, came home, told my husband that I was no longer drinking out of that travel mug and threw both that we owned out.  I was mortified, but could do nothing about it while driving 120k per hour.  Instead I talked myself through the horror and convinced myself it was all good because I got an extra boost of protein first thing in the morning.  I believe the added protein helped, for some strange reason, I had no appetite all day!


22 comments:

  1. Great news. Congratulations. All except for the maggots - that would have affected my appetite as well and it takes a lot to do that. Smaller clothes are the best thing ever! I have had to order a few things myself. Love it! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jeans look great! Thanks for the warning about the cups! I am not surprised that extra boost of protein kept you full all day long. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing an amazing job! And yeah, the maggots are ick. You did better than I would have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on the 10k. Next stop.....half marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maggots!!!!! Yuck! But, great job with the 10k. And, You look awesome in your skinny jeans. That must feel great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look awesome! I am still gagging about the maggots. I think I will be tossing our travel mugs with those hard to clean lids. :) Thank you for the heads up.

    BTW did I say you look AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry to read about the maggots...but the jeans look GREAT! Great job running!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ewww on the maggots...I think I have lost my urge to snack for tonite. I don't know if I would have been so calm driving.

    Congrats on your one year anniversary and look at how far you have come in your weight loss, and congrats on the skinny jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yuck on the maggots!! Yay for thrift store deals!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy freaking smokes on the maggots. :0. I've been drinking out of really deep ceramic cups and dish washing them. Looks like I'll keep doing that!!!

    You look great in your skinny jeans. Well earned. I'm slowly rebuilding my wardrobe, the same way, second hand but a little more upscale. Love it. Safe travels. Karen P

    ReplyDelete
  11. O M GEEEEE. No words. I lied. Always words. Wow. i think I would have pulled over and retched. Bless you for being calm. Not my idea of a protein shot... but that is one way to look at it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leigh you are beautiful and I'm diggin the skinny jeans! You know I L-O-V-E Thrift stores! It's just smart shopping!

    Well, if ever I were thinking of getting one of those coffee mugs, your post has put me off for life! I think I will keep my "bonus protein" to those bugs I accidentally swallow when I'm running! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hear Weight Watchers are bringing out maggots as a new appetite suppressant. Just kidding. That sounds really awful. I would have freaked. Congrats on the 10k and the jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those kinny jeans are the bee's knees!! I think you've inspired me to go shopping this morning for my new fall wardrobe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those jeans look great on you!

    That is so bad about the bugs in your coffee lid. Yuck! Congratulations on running a 10K - a 5K is as far as I've ever tried.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OMG! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth over the maggots! Blech!

    You are rockin' those skinny jeans!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look hot in the clothes...love the jeans....no muffin top rocks like you do with all your running!

    ok the maggot thing made me throw up a little in my mouth---ewwww and I know exactly what you mean...I have to hand wash my lid because gunk builds up....I am going to throw mine out when i get home....eweewewew

    ReplyDelete
  18. I certainly would not have come out of the situation alive if I was driving and drinking maggots. OMG. That is so gross.

    As always, beautiful pic and congrats on the skinny jeans!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. whoa! maggots gulping. Not cool. And I thought the maggots in the outside trash can this morning were a horror. You definitely beat me there.

    Value Village is such an awesome name. hehe

    ReplyDelete
  20. You would have made Bear Grylls from Man vs. Wild proud the way you handled those critters. Talk about your morning protein drink, yuck!
    If that would have happened to me there would have been no way on earth I would have been able to work the rest of the day.
    Value Village is awesome, I can't wait until I can shop there again.

    ReplyDelete
  21. You look amazing in your new 'skinny' jeans...and congrats on the 10K run.
    MAGGOTS I probably would have caused an accident. YUCK!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love how you look in the jeans. You'll have to go to black coffee. At least I think the maggots would not be as likely to appear. :)

    ReplyDelete