Tuesday, September 4, 2012

One year ago...

The first photo is of me and Jules on the first day of junior kindergarten last year.  I was about 289 pounds, and we were both a hot mess.  He from crying, me just because. The next two photos are of Jules and I this morning on his first day of senior kindergarten.  What a difference in both of us. He was being a brave, albeit nervous boy.  Although I acted like it wasn't a big deal, I still had some inner turmoil and got choked up when I was leaving him.  But he had a stellar day.  What a difference a year makes!  He was way more confident this time around, and so was I.




It was also my first day back at work.  Things are very strange around work right now and it feels awkward for me to be there.  There are some changes going on, and I guess I just haven't settled into my new team as of yet (I got moved to a different team on the same unit in June).  Since I've been off pretty much the whole summer, and so have others,  it's been hard to establish some comfort in my new digs.  I'm sure fall (my favorite season) will see me settling in and appreciating my new team mates.  On a happy note, I haven't seen many of my co-workers for a couple of months and I got lots of very positive and supportive compliments today.  That never gets old:)

Since utility turkeys were on sale this week, I bought an 11 pound turkey and roasted it yesterday. Guess what I'm eating all week?  No matter, I love turkey and can't wait until I pick it clean on Thursday and make some yummy turkey soup.  What a bargain!  Lunch and dinner for a few days, then home made turkey soup for the weekend.  LOVE it!

Something that sort of urks me is when people say that eating healthy is too expensive.  I know for a fact that I spend way less on groceries and food in general because I no longer go to the corner store to buy junk and don't frequent the drive thru's anymore.  When I shop, I check out the fliers and buy what ever is on sale that week.  I don't buy organic, because I really can't afford it, but whatever meats and veggies are on sale, is what I eat that week.  There's no guess work or huge plan I have to implement, I simply make my menu for the week with what is cheap!  And I price match (so worth the little bit of work it takes)!

Food is just fuel for my body so that I can run!  If I happen to eat the same things a few times in the same week, I really don't care.  I never thought I would feel this way about food.  It used to control my life and I planned my days around what and where I was going to eat.  Right now, at this moment, I can honestly say I feel like I can control food...just so long as we don't get into snacky stuff.  That I fear will always be my downfall.  That is why it's easier for me to cut snacks out of my life completely.

The W.I.D.T.H. I sent to
Jack Sh*t, Gettin' Fit

21 comments:

  1. The pictures are amazing. You both look much more confident in this year's pictures. I love turkey too and especially turkey soup. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rolled turkey tacos with corn tortillas - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeppers, I spend way less money at the grocery story buying whole foods than I ever did before. Where do people get their completely misguided beliefs from??

    Your pics are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS I eat the same stuff every day and every week, too. I DON'T CARE. Food is fuel, period - end of story.

      Delete
  4. I love what you have done in a year! You are so healthy in mind and body! Way to crush it! You are truly an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your son is a cutie!!! And you can see how much he adores his mommie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leigh you are such an inspiration! Those photos are amazing - the difference is phenomenal, plus you look at least 10 years younger now!!

    I know what you mean about the 'eating healthy is expensive' comment - I spend way less on food now because I'm not nipping out to the corner shop to buy junk. At the beginning of the week I plan out all of our meals, including my take to work lunches, and that enables me to have much more control over my spending.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I teared up at the last picture. Just out of curiosity...what is junior kindergarten vs senior kindergarten? Two years of kindergaretn where you live?

    You have done so well for yourself in just one short year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Junior kindergarten is for 4 year olds, senior kindergarten is for 5 year olds. Neither is mandatory. Thanks for the kind words Manda:)

      Delete
  8. Oh my I teared up reading this...not sure why but I love how you have changed! You are awesome and such an inspiration to me! I make a yummy turkey tortilla soup...

    ReplyDelete
  9. You guys both look much more relaxed and confident this year.

    Stupid question, what is a utility turkey? I've never hear that before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A utility turkey can be missing parts. Mine was missing a wing. Maybe not what you want to serve as your centre piece at Thanksgiving, but tasty none the less:)

      Delete
  10. You look marvelous. And yeah, the whole "eating healthy is expensive" thing gets tiring. It's not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look fantastic - what strides you have made in a year! I also agree that eating healthy is not more expensive than eating unhealthy - seriously, some of my food bills from "unhealthy" times are astronomical - because I'm eating at restaurants all the time!

    I love the sign you made with your son! I am going to do that tonight and take a picture with my girls and then I am going to post that at work, in my bathroom, in my car - everywhere I can as a reminder of what this journey is about and why I should make the right choices!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your last picture. It brought tears to my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an inspiration you are. Congrats on your success thus far. I love your comment about food just being fuel for your run. I am getting there! Can't wait for that to be true for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...that's AWESOME!!! I hope to have some pictures like that NEXT year! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always, love the post! So glad Jules had an easier first day!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Leigh, I am just looking at your blog for the first time. Very inspiring to see how much you have accomplished in such a short period of time. Those weight gone pictures are awesome! Thank you for taking the time to subscribe to my blog. You are my first official blog follower. If you don't mind I will be following your blog now as well. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You look amazing! What a difference a year makes. You are doing a fantastic job! Such and inspiration. Keep up the great work! And I love how your relationship with food has changed.

    ReplyDelete