Thursday, January 17, 2013

The post where I need physiotherapy, as well as regular therapy

After the 7.3K tonight.

It's a snowy night here in Southern Ontario.  Snow made for a tricky run tonight.  I ran 7.3k with my half marathon clinic.  It was real pretty to run while it snowed, but I slipped real good a couple of times.  Didn't go down though.  I have to finally admit that I need help.  The piriformis muscle, glute, hamstring, IT band or what ever the heck I pulled a couple of weeks ago while doing yoga has not gotten better.  It hasn't gotten worse, but certainly not better either.  It hurts the most when I first start running, then turns into a dull ache.  It has definitely affected my performance as my pace has gone down. I will be calling a physiotherapist tomorrow and making an appointment.  I have to take care of it now before I do some real damage.  Not an option for me.  I have a half marathon to run six weeks!

Last night was hills.  I dread Wednesday night runs, but once I'm running and doing the hills, I feel great.  Real strong and pumped.  We did seven hills last night and I thought I was done after five. Then I got a second wind on my sixth hill and the seventh hill almost felt easy.  I know I can definitely do eight next Wednesday.  Not looking forward to it already though!  Hills really help to build your endurance.  Doing the 7.3K tonight was a nice recovery run.   I completed the run in 48:22 with a 6:41 pace.  Slower than I have been because of my injury, but only 44 seconds slower than my time for the 5.6K Inspiration Run I did back on June 23rd.  That's the kind of progress I like to see.  Almost running a whole 2 kilometers more in relatively the same amount of time, give or take a minute.

Eating has been the same.   Still eating the same boring stuff.   Again, I do not care if I eat the same stuff over and over.  I did incorporate some dairy back into my diet but don't like how it makes me gassy.  So I've cut it out once again.  I'm prepared to stick to what I know works best for me.  The lean protein, veggies (minus white potatoes), and fruit.  Also some almonds thrown in once in a while.  I've stopped buying them in bulk amounts because I was popping them like candy and it was getting out of hand.  Although I eat protein and veggies until I'm full, I cannot eat unlimited amounts of almonds.  I'm nuts enough as it is.

After my weigh-in on Monday, I bought a bag of deliciousness (aka Fruit and Nut Clusters) from the Ontario Nutrition Store.  That was going to be my weigh-in treat.  It was too big a serving to eat all at once.  Big mistake.  All I did was obsess about it ALL THE TIME because I wanted to eat the entire bag in one sitting.  I was able to pace myself slightly and ate the bag over three days (with a little help from my friends and clients), but let me tell you, I did not like the way I thought about that bag of snacks constantly.  I could have done the obvious thing and given the remainder of the bag to the first client I shared with, but I didn't.  Don't judge me.  Just another addition to my growing list of "don'ts".  Don't buy a treat bigger than a single serving!

I hate feeling like I can lose control with my food at any moment.  Just when I think I'm strong enough to overcome bingy behavior, I prove myself wrong.  It is important that I am always mindful of what I am eating.  That is why eating the same stuff, no matter how boring it may seem to someone else, keeps me in my comfort zone.  It is familiar territory and a place I feel most in control.  For me, giving up the control I have over my food will end in disaster.  I refuse to ever let food control me again.  It controlled me for 35 years.  Actually, I let it control me.  But never again. I'd rather eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day for the rest of my life than end up back where I was.  There's nothing I could eat on earth that would make gaining back anything I lost worth it!

18 comments:

  1. Go you! I have the same control issues with sweets! So hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool picture! I know that lose control at any moment feeling so well, I always feel like I'm one bad day away from total disaster myself. I hope to get where you are mentally, that's a healthy food attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ah I'm really glad you'll be seeing someone tomorrow. smart move. I suck at going to doctors/getting checked when I probably should!

    You've got me really interested in going running with the running room group again. I've only went once. I'm just SO intimidated with new people and because i've never really run with people before!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job! your running amazes me. My knees hurt. I cant imagine running. Kudo's to you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry about your injury, I hope you manage to sort it out and you continue to push those great runs! I also did just over 7 km today, it was hard in the heat- the opposite of where you are!
    I am a huge nut addict too, those big bags are bad news....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nuts are the same for me. Unsalted, only measured out. Tricky stuff. Hope you freel better soon with your muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I used to think like you about food, particularly after I lost all my weight some years ago.
    Food won in the end. I was not strong enough.
    I hope that one day I do win the battle with MYSELF and do it all again and maintain forever.
    It's never too late to start again.
    You ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am the same way when I am on the route and I have my food for the day in the car with me because buying as I go gets too expensive. I know it's there and it bothers me. What's up with that? We may never know but the good thing is that we are aware of it and are dealing with it. I think sometimes we all feel like we are holding on to food sanity with our fingernails. As they say in WW - nothing tastes as good as being thin feels. We will NOT go back to the way we were. Hope you find the cause and the solution to the injury. Let us know. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also hope that you find the cause and cure of your muscle problem. I occasionally buy something like you did and tell myself that "this time" I will only have a portion daily. Good bread comes to mind. Sigh. It almost never works so I'm proof that insanity is trying the same thing over and over and hoping for different results. We keep learning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a creature of habit. When I was doing really well with my weight loss I pretty well ate the same everyday and enjoyed it. It's once I started letting in a "little" of this or that, I started to struggle. Be careful in the snow and ice!

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL - "I'm nuts as it is" - you are one funny gal Leigh!

    Not only funny, but smart. You know what the obstacles are and you move them out of the way....you don't let them become excuses. It's not easy, that's why it's so commendable.

    You ARE one tough nut :) And food is not match for you - Happy Friday Leigh :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I struggle with nuts...I love them and must portion them out. I love the idea of running in the snow. or while its snowing. Hope you heal quickly and its not serious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Awesome Winter Run! I have the same thoughts on food. I'll eat the same breakfast all week long because that's better than a drive through.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I also eat the same stuff over and over, and it makes me bored with the idea of overeating. After all, do I want to overeat the food I'll be eating tomorrow? Not much appeal in that.:D

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can definitely relate to what you said about eating & food! I've found that I graze on nuts a bit too much and I hate that feeling of not having control when I really do know better!
    Hope you are able to find out what's causing your muscle pain and recover soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I eat the same food over and over again, too. Sometimes I get bored and try some new recipes or incorporate some other food groups. But the more ingredients, the harder to measure and figure out my calories. It ends up stressing me out so I almost always go back to my plain jane eggwhite/chicken/broccoli way of life. It's just easier that way!!

    Hope the PT helps!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I hate that discipline takes so much discipline:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've felt a bit like I could lost control with my food again recently. I think it just shows that once we lose the weight, it is still going to be a struggle to not only maintain the loss, but also to continue to make good food choices. I, too, hate the way it makes me feel, but thankfully I've managed to stay in control! Well done on your running and I hope your hamstring problem gets sorted soon! My knee ligament is still playing up and is affecting my pace too - very frustrating! I went to an osteopath re a trapped nerve in my shoulder and asked him about the knee, he's given me some exercises to do so I'm hoping this will help :-)

    ReplyDelete