Wednesday, June 27, 2012

These are a few of my favourite things

I swore I wasn't going to post today, then I started reading blogs and felt like posting, so here it goes. A few things I'm excited about.  I'm only 9 pounds away from being "overweight" according to the BMI scale.  That's an important milestone for me because I have been obese pretty much my whole life (except when I was 6 and under, and for about 6 months in 2000).   My hubby and I are going to run a 5k together in August during the Dundas Cactus Festival.  And on Thursday, I'm getting my wedding ring back and my mother's wedding set back from the jewelers.  I sent them in to get sized down.

My wedding band was a size 8 1/2 and it was too small for me when I got married.  I ordered it small on purpose because I was embarrassed to get a 10, which was what I truly needed.  I only wore it on my wedding day and needed to use soap to get it off.  In it's place over the years, I wore a size 10 silver ring.  I got it sized down to a 6 1/2.  My father gave me my mother's wedding set about a month ago.  I was shocked that her rings were also a size 8 1/2.  She was not a big woman, but was Polish and my co-worker says she probably had big fingers because she was working with her hands so much (she made a lot of pierogi).  I'm very excited to get my rings back and no longer have to fear losing them.  My wedding band almost came off a few times while I was washing my hands.
My assistant baker.  Funny thing is,
he doesn't eat the banana bread either!
I guess I'm also excited (or maybe awed) by the amount of will power I have.  My boy and I made banana bread on Sunday so I could bring it into work for a meeting.  The recipe makes a loaf as well as a bundt cake.  I brought the loaf to the meeting, and gave the bundt cake to my co-workers.  It was gone by the end of the day.  I don't know why, but I still enjoy baking.  I often make several loaves or cakes a month and have never eaten any of it. You can ask my co-workers, they'll vouch for me! Why I do this is a mystery to me.   I love banana bread, and baked goods of any kind.  I guess I don't want people who come by my home to go without because I've changed my lifestyle.  I always have something to serve with coffee.  And my dad loves it, so I give him a loaf here and there.

In my last post, I used a quote from a Coldplay song called "Fix You".  This appears to be a very popular inspirational song.  It was also used in the last inspirational running video I posted.  While scrolling through  running videos on YouTube, I came across another gem that brought tears to my eyes.  This is exactly where I want to be one day (minus the Iron Man).  Yesterday, someone asked me why I run.  I run so I can continue to motivate myself and encourage others.  I run to prove to myself that I can.  I run to show others that you can do anything if you really want it. I run to be the best example I can to my son.  I run so that one day, I will be able to enjoy life like a "normal" sized person.  I run because it makes me feel really good (most of the time).  I run for my existence.

7 comments:

  1. mmm I love warm banana bread it is such a comfort food for me...same with zucchini bread(with chocolate chips)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great post!!

    After reading your blog, I always click away feeling motivated and inspired. Seriously.

    I also love baking, but just cannot do it anymore. I can't control myself! So good for you for being able to pull off that banana bread. YUM.

    And I run for all the same reasons you do. It's the one thing I never thought I could do when I was fat - so it's something I enjoy kicking ass at now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love to bake as well and it's almost like the ACT of baking is enough. I usually do have a taste of what I make (like if I make brownies, I have A brownie, etc.) but I don't overindulge on the homemade stuff much.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspirational [the video]...and you. I started my own marriage 65 pounds lighter than I am now. I did not size my own wedding ring up. I haven't worn it for years. My wife has it for the day she can put it back on my finger.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My daughter loves to bake and take all the goodies to work for her co-workers. If I bake it, I will eat it. My last try, many months ago, was a dozen cranberry muffins. I think I ate 10, my daughter ate one and I "may" have thrown one away. Best to keep the muffin pans in the cabinet.

    I wish I could be like you and resist what I bake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to bake and make candy, I just haven't had the time for it the last few years. For some reason I never had a problem resisting what I made. One exception- white chocolate cranberry cookies, they are delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love baking too.. but don't do much as I would be tempted to indulge!
    I can't imagine ever running myself.

    ReplyDelete