Friday, July 20, 2012

Eaton Downtown Dash

Last night I completed the Eaton Downtown Dash 5k in Burlington, Ontario. What a perfect night for running. The temperature was much cooler, no humidity and it looked like it was going to rain for a while. Sadly it did not. I love running in the rain.  It was strange to be doing a race in the evening.  I had a 7:20 start, and my goal was to finish in under 40 minutes.  I can't tell you what my official time was because they still haven't posted them.  I know that when I crossed the finish line, I was at 38 something!  That shaves 4 minutes off of my last race time.  Like I've said several times before, I'm not fast, but I'm getting faster.  My next race goal is to try for under 37 minutes.  That will be in the Stryker Dundas Cactus 5K next month.  I'm excited about this one because it will be my husband's virgin race!
Before the race with Brenda (just graduated from the Learn to Run clinic), Dawn, Pauline,
me (why did no one tell me I looked so silly?), and Beverly.
Beverly, Jules and I with our clinic leader Eric!

A family pic just before gun time!
I had a pretty good run.  I only took one walk break after my first 10 minute interval, then walked just enough through the water station to not spill anything on me.  A woman won the just over 16 minutes, according to my husband.  That's rare because a man usually wins.  When the 10k group passed me, about 20 guys ran by before I saw one female.  So it's very impressive that a woman won overall.  I ran about 2k with Eric, then he left to go ahead and find Beverly.  He must have been tired because he came back to me near the 4k mark, and went further back to see Sandra (our other clinic participant) and Enz.  He was running between the four of us and must have been exhausted.  At least he got some good tempo running in!

I must have not been thinking straight due to after race exhaustion...just kidding!  I didn't get one pic of me wearing the medal.  Here it is...pic just taken in my kitchen!
Gotta love the race bling!
My husband was very slow with the camera last night.  Here I am stopping after passing the finish line in the corral.  I was looking for him during  the last 500 metres, and he's after the finish line...where he can't see me coming at all.  Sheesh!  Don't ask why I felt the need to act so silly. And I thought they didn't call my name. They did, though it was late.  You can hear my name in the video!