Saturday, July 28, 2012

Purple liebster reptiles learning to run up the escarpment

This post could be extremely eclectic (like the title), or I could focus on just a few things.  I'll do my best to stay focused.  First off, it's obvious that I have changed the look of my blog.  I was really beginning to dislike my blog format, so I changed it to something that is definitely more me. PURPLE!  My absolute favorite color ever!  Here's a completely useless piece of trivia...do you know why purple is the color of royalty?  Because it was difficult and expensive to dye fabrics purple.  Only royalty could afford to do it.  You can Google that if you want and I could be totally full of sh!t.  I vaguely remember learning that in middle school 30 odd years ago.

Anywho, I also want to give a shout out to Mary at A Walk in the Woods.  Mary has graciously nominated me for a Liebster Award and I am flattered and touched by this honour.  I am also a killjoy because I'm going to link to a previous post I did where I was tagged back in January and the exercise (minus Mary's questions) was the exact same.  Read 11 random things about me here.  I'll answer Mary's questions, then respectfully decline tagging anyone else.  It was waaaaaay too much work to do the first time I did it.  I'm ok with not receiving the award, but want to acknowledge that Mary worked hard at receiving hers.  Congrats Mary:)  Below are Mary's questions to me.

1. What inspired your blog name?
I am on a metabolic diet that was developed by a doctor in Toronto, Ontario named Dr. Poon. He's a genius and I wanted to incorporate his name into my blog title.  Everyday I get closer to my goal weight is a reason to celebrate!  Sadly, I have recently seen the Urban Dictionary definition of Poonapalooza...you should see some of the search words people use to get to my blog!  Sheesh!

2. What do you like most about blogging?

I really like that I can inspire others through what I write and I'm still amazed and awed that anybody finds my mundane life exciting enough to read about.  I like that blogging keeps me accountable to others beyond my personal circle of family and friends.  I also LOVE the inspiration I get from reading other blogs.  Keeps me very motivated, and I've formed many meaningful friendships through blogging. 

3. What was your dream job when you were a child?
I honestly don't think I had one.  Probably something like a candy tester.  My dream job as an adult is to be a funeral home director.  No word of a lie.

4. Where is the furthest place you've ever travelled?
South Africa twice.  Once for my brother's wedding, and once to visit him over Christmas.  A very beautiful country marred by too much turmoil:(

5. What is the strangest or most exotic food you've ever tried?  And did you like it?
Alligator?  I think...it tasted like chicken?  It was a blur and something I did in New Orleans about 15 years ago.  Can't recall what I thought of it.

6. What is your favourite film?
Gone with the Wind and Grease.  Don't judge!

7. Who is your favourite TV show character?
This is hard because I hardly ever watch TV.  I'd have to go with an oldie but a goodie...Alice.  And I'm mainly picking her because Linda Lavin sang a mean theme song.  And she was a single working mother which I always respected.  Really it's just because of the theme song and I always got a good laugh with Vera and Flo.  And I realize I just really aged myself.

8. Do you have a crazy, far-fetched ambition and what is it? (for example - mine is to be an Oscar winning screen writer, or to climb Mount Everest!)
To write a book.  Don't have any idea what the title or topic would be.  Don't actually have either, nor am I working on a topic or title.  Really far fetched!

9. If your friends could describe you with one word, what would it be?
Amusing...

10. If money were no object, where would you live and why?
Somewhere tropical that does not look real in pictures because I love the beach.  I'd just have a house there though and still have Canada as my permanent residence.  I love this country and would never live anywhere else!

11. What is your favourite book of all time?
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee.  The only book I've read too many times to count.

Hope you enjoy learning a little more about me.  Thanks again for thinking of me Mary:)


Back to regularly scheduled programming now.  My boy is on the mend and is finally going into his last day of antibiotics tomorrow.  We have been mixing the medicine in his yogurt, and he's happy to have it.  The only problem is that he's undoubtedly getting waaaaaaaaay too much yogurt in a day. Beggars can't be choosers though.  At least his infection has cleared up.  Amen.  


Today Jules and I went to birthday party.  It was for a 6-year-old boy and Reptilia came by to do a show.  I'm not a fan of reptiles.  But it was interesting all the same.  The kids had a fun time and the woman who brought the animals stayed for a long time chatting up the adults once the kids tired and found something else to do.  I got a picture with some big lizard, not getting too close though.  I swear those things can smell fear!
Was not aware the girls came out for the photo.
Thanks for the heads up Cristian!
Even though it was a 6-year-old's birthday party, I was able to stay on Phase 2 of my diet.  My gracious hosts had veggie trays, meat and veggie skewers and some Phase 2 fruits I could eat.  I was able to steer clear of the slab pizza, chips and dip, luncheon meats and buns and of course a huge birthday cake, that I heard on good authority, was delicious!  I purposely wore a tighter pair of size 12 capris so that I wouldn't over eat, lest I feel uncomfortable.  The capris held out just fine! And just in case there was no food I could eat...I packed myself a lunch as a back-up just in case.  


This morning I ran 7k along the Rail Trail near my home.  It's a great trail to run on because for the first 3.5k, I'm basically running up the Niagara Escarpment, and then when I turn around, running down it.  Works out the muscles in my legs real good.  And I ran the entire 7k with one 30 second break.  I stopped at the 3.5 marker, to take a drink of water and change the radio station on my MP3.  I stole this photo from the trail run I did at the end of June.  I just wanted to show it because it shows off my leg muscle real good.  This is why I love to run hills, even though I actually hate it while I'm doing it!
Not too shabby huh?  My leg actually looks
like it could belong to an athletic person.
I started teaching my Learn to Run clinic this past week.  It went well and I'm thrilled to be teaching my good friend Karen how to run.  Karen and I have known each other since junior kindergarten and I'm so excited that she's gonna become one of my running gals!  I can hardly wait till we run our first 5k together!  That will be the end of September and I just know she'll be ready!  I'm really proud of her for taking this step towards a healthier lifestyle!