Thursday, July 5, 2012

The proof is in the pudding

I found the mother of "before" pictures.  These were taken in April 2010, when I was 40.  I had just ventured up to Cutler, Ontario to meet my birth mother.  These photographs were taken in her kitchen by one of my best friends, Nokomis.  Nokomis is a professional photographer and did an excellent job capturing my true self in April 2010.  Again, my husband is in denial that I ever looked like that.  But the proof is in the pudding (sugar free of course)!  Funny thing is, I thought I looked good in that purple shirt.  I'm pretty sure the shirt was a 3x and the pants were a size 24w.  I swear on my mother's grave, that I will do absolutely everything in my power to never look like that again.
                                         
I just went shopping today (with a client...man I love my job), and purchased an outfit for $6 (blue shorts, orange top, above left).  The shorts were $2.50, the shirt $3.50.  What a deal.  I think I'm set for the summer.  I'm not buying anymore clothes since I will not fit into them by next summer.  I plan on being at my goal weight by then for sure, so no need to purchase things I can't wear past the next few months.  I saw lots of things I would have liked to buy, but replacing clothes gets expensive.

Someone made a comment to me the other day that they cannot believe that I have not "cheated" since I started my lifestyle change.  The only time I ate off plan was way back in November when I was a month and a half into the diet.  I ate a (by "a", I mean one) sushi roll (rice) and spent the remainder of the night on the toilet.  That was enough of a deterrent for me to never pull anything like that again.  That was the one and only time I ate off plan.  I have absolutely no reason to lie about that.  If I did cheat, I would certainly fess up about it.  I have nothing to hide.  

I did go on a 3 week hiatus in the winter, where I went on maintenance.  I was feeling bored with eating only Phase 1 and followed the maintenance plan, but didn't  have any processed carbs or sugar.  I mostly ate a lot more fruit and didn't limit my vegetables.  During that time I managed to lose a pound.  It didn't mean I wasn't still committed to my lifestyle, it only meant that I needed to take a little breather, refocus, then get back to work.  Since that time, I have not gone off plan again.

I'm constantly around "temptation".  Just yesterday at team meeting, there were tons of yummy treats.  And a cake for me!  It was to welcome me to the new team I joined.  Many of my new team members were not aware of what I can and cannot eat.  That's okay though.  It was a super nice gesture which I absolutely appreciated.  A "no thank-you" and a quick explanation about my lifestyle was all it took.  Everyone was super supportive and understanding.  Maybe they thought to get back at me by putting the left over treats right behind my desk.  LOL!!!!  

I have been off carbs and sugar for so long, that I truly no longer crave them.  That's why it is so easy for me to decline any offers of food that are not on my plan.  I never thought I could be this person.  Food used to be so important to me.  The focus of my life.  It was the first thing I thought of when I woke up in the morning.  Now all I think about is running.  Food works itself into the equation of running because it is the fuel for my body which I need in order to run.  I no longer let food control me.  If I ever think it will be a good idea to splurge on foods I shouldn't have, I will think of that woman in the purple shirt.  She's my past and I intend to keep her there.  Nothing is worth ever looking like that again.