Saturday, July 7, 2012

Running is not for sissies!

It has been hot, hot, hot here.  I have had to abandon my usual run times and run when it has cooled down.  I am not a good summer runner.  I ran twice on Monday (3k and 4k respectively) and almost died of the heat, then didn't run again until Thursday night (6k).  I didn't realize it was so late when I left the house and needless to say, I was in the wooded rail trail after dark...alone.  Not smart. The last kilometer was my fastest during that run because I could hear something running in the bush beside me and I took off like a bat out of hell!

Yesterday morning I got the opportunity to run with my hubby again after we dropped the boy off at day camp.  I took hubby to a fairly flat trail in Dundas.  It was getting hot, but it was still pretty bearable.  Half way into our run, I tripped on a tree root and fell like a rag doll.  Thank goodness it was just hubby and I or that would have been tres embarrassing.  I got my first running injury!  I got right back up and completed the rest of the run.  My knee feels a bit sore, but only when I rotate it.  It can't be too bad, I ran 7k this morning.  My longest run to date!
Me after falling.  I was a dirty hot mess
when I got home.
My first running boo-boo.  I fell fairly hard and am
surprised that this is the extent of my injuries.
Yesterday I went swimming with my hubby and the boy.  We found a nice salt water pool in Dundas. Last year I would have never gone to a public pool.  I had a lot of fun playing with my son, and catching him as he jumped off the side of the pool.  I also did about 8 laps.  Swimming is hard work. We have a pool within walking distance of my house.  It would definitely be beneficial for me to do laps a couple of times a week.  It certainly won't hurt!

So I completed my longest run to date this morning.  It would have been fabulous if the storm held out until I got home.  I felt really good and ran 3.5k uphill, then 3.5k downhill.  I only had 1k left when the skies opened up and I got caught in a downpour.  I can't complain.  We needed rain so badly.  I was worried about my phone though.  It was tracking my run via Nike+ Running...which gave out at the last kilometer and I freaked out thinking that my phone got wet and stopped working.  That was not the case though and the app just stopped working...probably because I turned it off in my haste to make sure my phone wasn't getting wet.  So I'm a little bummed I didn't get to track my furthest run to date...but I'll track the next one!

Off to prepare for company.  One of my very best girlfriends is coming over today with her hubby and little girl.  Looking forward to seeing them since it's been quite a few months.  On my way to the supermarket to purchase some Phase 2 friendly foods to serve.  Maybe I'll treat myself to a glass of red wine today.  I'm allowed 4oz and I think I deserve it!