Sunday, November 10, 2013

The post about my 1st post injury run, lots of meat and morning hair




  • Today was a super special day for me.  This morning I geared up and donned my runners for the first time since September 4th (when I broke my ankle). To say I was a bit nervous is an understatement. I was extremely anxious.  This is likely why even though I was only going 1K, I procrastinated.  I was scared that a) my ankle would hurt and I'd have to stop right away, or b) my heart would give up because I haven't run in over two months.  I am thrilled to report that neither of those things ended up happening. My ankle did fine, and although it took a few minutes, my breathing was much better than I anticipated.
  • I did a couple of loops around my block.  I actually ended up running 1.5K and felt really good.  I wanted to go further, but knew that I couldn't push it. I was really surprised at how steady my breathing was. And my pace was much better than I had expected. My 7:K pace was not too shabby, and I think I could have kept it up if I went further.  I will run again on Tuesday morning.  Maybe I'll add another loop around the block!
  • I'm going to take it easy for the next couple of weeks distance wise.  But I do begin training for the Around the Bay 30K Road Race the week of the 25th.  EXCITED! I almost feel normal again...

It's felt like forever since I've been in running gear...

  • My shins and arms are sore.  This is not from running but from walking Finn the other day.  He's a fast walker and I walked a good 5K with him fairly briskly.  We were on my favorite running trail and we were completely alone.  I let him off leash and he easily ran another 5K around me.  He is super fast! Missed walking with my boy:)
  • I went grocery shopping yesterday. I never go on a Saturday, but really wanted to get it over with.  I bought a ton of meat.  Hubby and I eat a lot of meat and I try to keep our grocery bill down to $500 per month.  That's $125 per week for a family of 3 whose main staple is lean meat and fish.  It can be done but takes a lot of planning and price matching.  The bad news is I spent $200 on food yesterday. The good news is that I won't have to buy meat for a few weeks.  I also got a good deal on eggs which always makes me happy!
  • Tonight we're having pork tenderloin with pepper squash and cumin carrots. I still have a 10 pound bag of carrots I need to use up.  When I buy veggies, I get what's on sale for the week.  Although I like peppers, we haven't had any for a couple of weeks because they haven't been on sale.  This week's sales included squash, broccoli, mushrooms and onions.  The carrots were from last week.

Finn and I enjoying the fall weather.  It was flurrying during our walk.

  • Thanks to everyone for all their kind words about the G&M interview.  I'm not so pissed about Dr. Poon not getting a shout out anymore.  My good friend Steve pointed out that it doesn't always have to be a plug for the diet.  Although I believe in the diet 100% and would encourage anyone to give it a go, my message is to inspire, no matter what plan you follow.  You do not need to do Dr. Poon's diet to get your desired results.  You just need to follow an eating plan that you can sustain for the long haul.  
  • Last week my brother-in-law and I were having a heart to heart and he asked me if I was surprised that I have not gained any weight over the past nine weeks. You know that old saying that diet is 80% and exercise 20% of weight loss/maintenance?  100% true.  I guarantee you that the only way I have not gained weight is because I have stuck to the eating plan.  I also gained a lot of confidence as a maintainer.  I had put all my success as a maintainer on running.  I'm relieved to learn that I can maintain while not running.  I am super glad to be back to doing what I love though.
  • A big thank you to Gwen for giving me the kick in the pants I needed. You are absolutely right! I need to be a friend to myself. I am very critical of myself.  More so now than I was when I was heavy. I hope I am not striving for perfection, because we all know that does not exist! And perfection is overrated and boring.  Weird the way the mind works.  And just for the record, my short run this morning really boosted up my spirits.  I know it's just a matter of a month or so before I'll feel a difference in my body from running.  Can't wait!
  • I have zero patience for oppression in any form. That is all.

This is for Elin and depicts why I  MUST wash my hair every. single. day.
Yup, that's the beauty of me every morning:)

14 comments:

  1. YEA you! I am sure you are overjoyed to be running again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your run! Slow and steady girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Leigh, I really enjoy reading your posts! I was reading along, (very happily) and listening to some easy music in my mind (La-de-dah kind of music) when I saw the pic of you in glasses and frazzled hair look. My mind made the record scratch sound! Then I saw the picture next to it and the music started up again. Have a happy day:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^ didn't come out the way I meant. You are a beautiful young woman and the first photo did not do you justice. That is what I meant to say.

      Delete
    2. Oh Marc, you never fail to make me laugh! I loved your first comment. Made me laugh out loud:) And I know the frazzled hair photo is not my finest picture. That was the point. We're old friends Marc. You can pretty much say anything to me and I'll still love ya! Don't change your sense of humor:):)

      Delete
  4. Wasn't meant as tough love, but you are welcome if it helped! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being direct with me is what works best. I love your no nonsense approach to stuff. I see it on your blog and I appreciate it in your comments. Thanks for your support Gwen:) You rock!

      Delete
  5. Happy day! I'm so glad you are able to start running again. Have a lot of fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Leigh - reading your blog for the first time this morning. I am a Pooner who has gotten off track during the past 4 months and decided today it was time to get myself back into the program. I googled Dr. Poon and your blog came up. Congrats on all your success. What I wanted to comment on is your statement about perfectionism. Have you read the book 'The Gifts of Imperfection' by Brene Brown. In it she talks about the difference between perfectionism and striving to be your best self. Perfectionism is something we do that is external and is for others "What will others think of me?" Striving to be our best selves is something we do for ourselves and therefore there is room for self compassion and caring. Continue success on your journey and healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny how we get emotionally connected to "perfect strangers" by reading a blog. I got really sad when you broke your ankle and had to delay your plans to run a Marathon (I kind of lived something similar here when my husband's first marathon was cancelled due to angry New Yorkers after Sandy).
    And today was very happy and relieved to read you are running again.

    You have been an inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on not only surviving your first injury, but thriving during that time period as well. So many people would have just given up. You continued to kick ass. I'm excited to see where you go from here! Great work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay Leigh! Right back on the saddle, I wouldn't expect anything less from you! I have a question for you. I was watching your makeover video and they mentioned what beautiful skin you have and you said that you always moisturized and took care of your skin. I have never had much luck with different products so I would love to know what are the products you use? I know you are not trying to endorse anything but if you could share what it is you use I would be so thankful, my skin would be thankful too!! here is my email address in case you rather respond to me there: rosy@coolmacgames.com. Thanks Leigh!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done with getting back into your running. The falls, from what I could see, look awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah! I saw your FB post about running again. Happy that it went so well for you. You ALMOST make it sound easy. LOL

    ReplyDelete