Saturday, January 14, 2012

Phase 1 friendly Lazy Cabbage Casserole

I grew up in a Polish/Scottish home.  My mother (Polish) was an excellent cook.  She cooked everyday, run of the mill North American fare, but also some kick ass Polish dishes.  Pirogi, Cabbage rolls, sauerkraut with kielbasa, borscht...You get the idea.  My favorite dishes were of course, the Polish ones.  Once in a while my parents would indulge in some Scottish fare as well.  I absolutely hated blood pudding...and what in the hell is haggis?

One of my favourite Polish dishes was Cabbage Rolls.  Due to the strenuous activity of making Cabbage rolls, we only ate them for holidays.  If my mom made a cabbage/ground meat dish any other time of the year, she would make Lazy Cabbage Roll Casserole.  It basically tasted the same as the real thing, but only took a fraction of the time to prepare.  So how do I make a Phase 1 friendly version when I'm not allowed to use rice or tomatoes (in any form)?  I came up with this dish and my human guinea pig (aka my husband), said it was darned tasty!

Phase 1 friendly Lazy Cabbage Casserole


You will need:

  • 1 pound each of extra lean ground beef and pork
  • 1 bunch of green onions (about 6 chopped)
  • 1/2 head of large cauliflower (shredded)
  • 1/2 large head of cabbage (sliced thinly)
  • 2 packages of low sodium taco seasoning
  • Worcestershire sauce (1 tsp)
  • Tabasco sauce (optional, to taste)
  • onion and garlic powder (about 1 tbsp each)
  • less sodium soya sauce (2 tbsp)
  • low sodium beef stock (2 cups)
  • half salt to taste


Directions:

  • Brown ground meat in a large skillet.  Once the meat has cooked, drain any fat (I use a colander).
  • Once meat has drained, add 2 packages of taco seasoning, shredded cauliflower, green onion, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, onion and garlic powder and less sodium soya sauce, and 1 cup of low sodium beef stock.  Mix thoroughly and cook until liquid has reduced (about 15 minutes).

This is everything added to the pan before cooking it down!

  • In the meantime, slice cabbage thin and put half on the bottom of a deep casserole dish, or your slow cooker. 






  • Once the meat has simmered for an additional 15 minutes, pour it on top of the cabbage, then add the rest of the cabbage on top of the meat mixture.  Add the remaining beef stock. Cook on high in your slow cooker, or covered tightly at 325 for 2 1/2 hours.  If using an oven, be sure to stir every 45 minutes.


The casserole assembled.
Four hours later.
 
Ready to eat.
I gotta say, my intention was to pig out on this because it really was tasty.  After one serving I was stuffed:) You could actually follow the same recipe and actually stuff cabbage if you felt so inclined.  Not as good as mom's but nothing ever is.  Tomorrow I'm making Phase 1 friendly Curried Chicken.  Stay tuned:)

23 comments:

  1. I have never heard of that, but it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, you know what, I've recently discovered a love for cabbage. Which is weird since... you know, it's cabbage. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I KNOW! I love cabbage too...only as an adult though. I can even eat it just boiled:) Either my taste buds have gone to pot or I have acquired another adult taste:)

      Delete
    2. My mom is British and cooks the *&( out of cabbage and although I would eat it, I never really liked it. Same for brussel sprouts, but now lightly steamed and tossed with olive oil, lemon, salt and pepper - they are my favourite quick vegetables. This casserole looks good - I might try it next weekend :)

      Delete
  3. I have grown up on cabbage, my grandmother is English and so we had lots of meals with cabbage accomplishments, my favorite boiled cabbage with seeded mustard gosh that brings back memories ha ha. I am yet to try cooking cabbage on my own but I will have to give your recipe a try, it sounds very similar to something we used to eat, with the cabbage leaves stuffed. Thanks for the great recipe ideas, Love them.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to try this! I love your blog ~ thank you so much for sharing your journey & recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. can you make it on regular pot?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe sounds sooooooo good!!! I also grew up on cabbage rolls--2 kinds. One is the kind where the filling is rolled into the cabbage leaves and the other one is where meat and cabbage filling is put into individual doughs which are then baked in the oven. I love them both, but they don't love my body! I'm going to try your recipe here--I know I could totally live with that! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much is 1 serving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since Dr. Poon's diet allows for unlimited protein and leafy greens (cabbage), I always just ate this until I was full. But if you are worried about serving size, a couple heaping spoonfuls is good! You gotta make sure you get enough protein in.

      Delete
  8. Made this tonight and loved it, Leigh. Hubby loved it too. Will definitely make this again, that is, once I eat up all the leftovers. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE CABBAGE ROLLS! THANK YOU SO MUCH; I'M GOING TO MAKE THIS TONIGHT!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im making this for tonight's dinner. Luv your recipes. Been trying to get my bf to do lo carb meals with me for years but now hes on dr poon diet so hes focused. Your recipes are an amazing help ty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Would the two packages of Taco Seasoning be too much Sodium to be Phase 1 friendly ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a double recipe. If you're concerned about sodium, you could use a homemade taco seasoning. I believe there is one in the files of the Facebook group or you can Google "Paleo Taco Seasoning". No added sodium in either of those options.

      Delete
  12. I love cabbage and am soooo going to make this!!
    You and I are the same height but I weigh 158 (was 179) - I am in awe of you wearing a size 8 (I can't get past a size 12).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do you have the nutrition info on this? I'm trying to add it to fittnesspal. It looks great! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I just made this today and it was sooooo delicious! Thank you for this great recipe. Tomorrow I am going to try the lemon chicken in the slow cooker:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. How many servings does this yield?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a clue. On the diet I followed, I was allowed to eat until I was full. So I did:-)

      Delete
  16. Amazing story, at the time I need to hear your story. I am 170 lbs at 5' tall. Was healthy for about 10 years and a car accident happened and eventually I reverted to all the bad habits...slow decline. And now I am thinking everyday about how I don't look the way I want to look. I am just beginning a new program "Ideal Protein" and yes, I have to follow a program for the rest of my life. Hypothyroid, anxiety, depression but all are under control. You are an inspiration. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made it with 1.5 heads cabbage and 1 whole head cauliflower. Then added 2 bell peppers and for meat ground turkey yields 18 cups and 84 calories per serving

    ReplyDelete
  18. I made it with 1.5 heads cabbage and 1 whole head cauliflower. Then added 2 bell peppers and for meat ground turkey yields 18 cups and 84 calories per serving

    ReplyDelete