Sunday, January 8, 2012

Phase 1 friendly Shepherd's Pie

I decided to start blogging a bit about what I eat.  I know there are other Poon dieters out there who read my blog (and I post it on Dr. Poon's FB page), and the question I get asked most often is, "What do you eat?"

So here, in some detail, is what I made for dinner yesterday.  My husband loved it:)

Phase 1 friendly Shepherd's Pie:


You will need:

  • 500 grams (1 pound) extra lean ground beef, or chicken, or both (I used both).
  • 1 pkg. each of spinach, mushrooms (or other veggies of your choice...nothing that grows underground though).
  • 1 head of cauliflower.
  • Low sodium taco seasoning 1 pkg.
  • Tabasco to taste (optional).
  • Light Philadelphia Cream Cheese (I like herb and garlic) 1 tbsp.
  • Canola oil 1 tsp.
  • Garlic powder or minced garlic to taste.
  • Half salt and pepper to taste.



Dr. Stephen looked at the nutritional info on this taco seasoning and told me it was fine to use.


Directions:

  1. Brown ground meat in a skillet, add taco seasoning following direction on the package.  I also add some Tabasco, but I like things spicy.  Once this is cooked, spread into the bottom of a casserole dish.
  2. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in a bit of canola oil with minced garlic, half salt and pepper to taste.  When the mushrooms are almost cooked, add fresh spinach to the skillet and cover.  
  3. When the spinach has wilted, mix with the mushrooms and use a slotted spoon to remove it from the skillet.  Add it to the casserole dish, layering it over the ground meat.
  4. Cut the cauliflower into flowerettes and put in a large pot to boil.  boil on high for about 15 minutes, until well done.  Remove from heat and drain well in colander.  
  5. Once the cauliflower has completely drained, add 1 tbsp. of light cream cheese, half salt and pepper to taste and mash until smooth with a potato masher.
  6. Add mashed cauliflower to the casserole dish, layering it over the spinach/mushroom mixture. 
  7. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
Yum!  This is really easy to make and was quite tasty.  I doubled the recipe and made 2 casseroles and will take it for lunch throughout the week.   Here are some pics of the finished product.  Enjoy:)


Fresh from the oven.

All the layers.
Ready to eat.

31 comments:

  1. Wow that looks yummy I'm going to try that this week

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment on my blog :) I just realised we live in the same city!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG YUMMY!!! I am adding this to my list of things I can smack down on lol lol lol!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for doing all the work! Shephard's pie was on my list of recipes to try an de-carb. This looks fantastic, will give it a try.

    ~Christina

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks delicious I love shepherds pie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow. I don't do that diet but it looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy. I will need to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This tastes SO GOOD!! I made this yesterday and it turned out beautifully! The cauliflower in general is a bit bland for me and it'll take some gettng used to but a little tabasco sauce goes a long way! :) Thanks for posting this delicious recipe. I posted it on my blog as well, can I have your permission to post the recipe on my personal blog? :) finding-my-weigh.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this today. It was awesome. I added some green beans Thank you for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love this recipe - thanks so much for sharing it with your fellow weight-strugglers - but I have one 'beef' lol - the spelling is 'shepherds' - it comes from Northern England (where I am from) and was typically made by nomadic shepherds using lamb and at-hand common vegetables. Sorry, don't mean to sound petty (but I'm a bit of spelling snob ha ha.) Happy eating!

      Delete
  10. Wow! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It's on a entirely different topic but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Excellent choice of colors!
    Take a look at my blog post ... earn quick money online

    ReplyDelete
  11. Greate post. Keep posting such kind of information on your blog.
    Im really impressed by it.
    Hi there, You have done a fantastic job. I will certainly digg
    it and personally recommend to my friends. I'm sure they'll be benefited from this site.
    Stop by my site earn easy money online

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoy what you guys are usually up too. This sort of clever work and exposure!

    Keep up the superb works guys I've included you guys to my own blogroll.
    My web site > how to earn money online

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello to all, it's genuinely a nice for me to go to see this website, it contains useful Information.
    Feel free to surf my blog post - legitimate work at home jobs

    ReplyDelete
  14. For most recent news you have to visit world-wide-web and
    on internet I found this web site as a most excellent site for most recent updates.
    Feel free to surf my weblog ... good ways to make extra money

    ReplyDelete
  15. love your blog! It has given me hope and made my day, thank you for sharing your story. love Carol

    ReplyDelete
  16. it looks great , thanks for sharing. I just started on the diet and I thought for phase 1 you couldn't eat any cheese
    ? is light Philadelphia allowed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can use the 1tbsp of cream cheese to mash the cauliflower. It's allowed in very small quantities. Good luck:)

      Delete
    2. is this for phase 1 as well? The lite cream cheese I mean.

      Delete
    3. Yes. You can use 1 tbsp for the entire recipe

      Delete
  17. Thought you couldn't eat dairy on Poon?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can have very limited amounts of light/fat free products. This is only 1 tbsp of cream cheese to make the cauliflower lighter. It's allowed as per his cookbook and diet book.

      Delete
  18. How many servings is this?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Made this last Monday. Loved it, as did my spouse. Making it again today :-) Thanks, Leigh.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband hates mushrooms. Any thoughts on another vegetable? Maybe peas? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peas are not Phase 1 of this diet. Too much starch/carb. Most green vegetables grown above ground work. Zucchini, eggplant, green beans...I've used spinach before.

      Delete