So here, in some detail, is what I made for dinner yesterday. My husband loved it:)
Phase 1 friendly Shepherd's Pie:
You will need:
- 500 grams (1 pound) extra lean ground beef, or chicken, or both (I used both).
- 1 pkg. each of spinach, mushrooms (or other veggies of your choice...nothing that grows underground though).
- 1 head of cauliflower.
- Low sodium taco seasoning 1 pkg.
- Tabasco to taste (optional).
- Light Philadelphia Cream Cheese (I like herb and garlic) 1 tbsp.
- Canola oil 1 tsp.
- Garlic powder or minced garlic to taste.
- Half salt and pepper to taste.
|Dr. Stephen looked at the nutritional info on this taco seasoning and told me it was fine to use.|
- Brown ground meat in a skillet, add taco seasoning following direction on the package. I also add some Tabasco, but I like things spicy. Once this is cooked, spread into the bottom of a casserole dish.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms in a bit of canola oil with minced garlic, half salt and pepper to taste. When the mushrooms are almost cooked, add fresh spinach to the skillet and cover.
- When the spinach has wilted, mix with the mushrooms and use a slotted spoon to remove it from the skillet. Add it to the casserole dish, layering it over the ground meat.
- Cut the cauliflower into flowerettes and put in a large pot to boil. boil on high for about 15 minutes, until well done. Remove from heat and drain well in colander.
- Once the cauliflower has completely drained, add 1 tbsp. of light cream cheese, half salt and pepper to taste and mash until smooth with a potato masher.
- Add mashed cauliflower to the casserole dish, layering it over the spinach/mushroom mixture.
- Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
|Fresh from the oven.|
|All the layers.|
|Ready to eat.|