Thursday, January 5, 2012

I did it my weigh

I am officially 50 pounds lighter (from my start point in August 2011)!  I can't believe that I did this.  I have been a procrastinator my whole life, especially with my health.  I always knew I had to change my life style, but I did nothing to make my health better.  I have been down this road before.  About 13 years ago, I lost 100 pounds by doing the Dr. Bernstein diet.  I got three needles a week of vitamin B12 and basically starved myself to what was supposed to be a better me.  I was tired, sallow and didn't feel well.  You can probably guess what happened.  I gained everything back within a couple of years.  Not before I met my husband though.  He fell in love with the skinnier me.  By the time we were getting hitched, I had gained back all the weight.  He still married me and never told me that I needed to lose weight:)  He is the most wonderful man I know and I am thankful everyday that he is in my life.  He always made me feel beautiful, no matter what size I was.

So I'm a bit discouraged by going to the clinic I go to for my bi-weekly weigh-ins.  I have been losing on average, 5 pounds every other week, so that's 10 pounds per month.  Since I started this program on the 18th of September, I think the 38 pounds I lost on Dr. Poon is huge.  That's almost 40 pounds in 3 and a half months!  I don't believe I should lose more than 10 pounds per month.  Dr. Stephen has other ideas.  I lost 5 pounds over Christmas and he was looking through my food log critiquing every little thing I ate and commenting on the number of chicken thighs I ate at once (3).  This diet says I can eat protien until I am full.  If it takes three chicken thighs to fill me up, I'm allowed to eat three freaking chicken thighs!  He says I could be doing better and says that he wants me to be perfect.

Now I have been brought up to respect my elders and Dr. Stephen is an elderly man, but honestly, I lost my temper and told him that no one is perfect and that 10 pounds of weight-loss per month is fine thank-you very much!  I felt like he ever only has criticisms for me instead of saying, "great job keeping it together over Christmas".  This has not discouraged my weight-loss efforts, but it does make me not want to go back to the clinic. Dr. Stephen is a nice man but between the accusations of cheating and the pressuring me to lose weight faster, he's beginning to grate on me.  I guess I could see another doctor, but what if they're even more critical?

Phew, I needed to get that off my chest.  I feel better now and I know I will go back to the clinic in 2 more weeks.  It will keep me accountable and on track.  Some things are just meant to go in one ear and out the other and this is just one of those times!  I get tons of encouragement and kind words from everyone else around me, whether those others are physically in my life, or in my cyber space life.  The opinion of one doctor will not diminish my momentum.  Now lets all go and kick some major butt:) ARRRRRRGH!

19 comments:

  1. Congratulations!!!!! YOU have worked hard. YOU have done so well, be proud :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 pounds is awesome. Honestly, why don't you make an appointment with another doctor just for your next appointment and see how it goes? Your mental health is just as important as your physical health, and if this doctor is discouraging you and your efforts than you owe it to yourself to at least give another doctor a shot. Good luck, and keep up all the hard work. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry but what a jerk! You lost 10 pounds OVER CHRISTMAS! Most people gain that much during that time. Don't let him rain on your parade, you've done an awesome job! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That's impressive lady! Don't let anyone put you down. They can talk when they've lost 50 pounds. You did it!;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats! 50 is great. Count your blessings about having someone push you... even if it is a little hard.

    btw... 10lbs is a perfect goal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on losing 50lb! I am SO happy for you, it is so fantastic!

    Also, that guy sounds like a jerk. I strongly suggest you ditch him and find someone else that will be honest and direct, but also supportive!! You deserve that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would definitely seek another doctor if this one makes you feel uncomfortable. I know it's their job to tell us the truth, but have some bed-side manner!

    Great job on the 50 pounds! I often wonder what it would feel like.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Dr. Stephen should be spoken to for his unsupportive and scarcastic attitude. I would definitely switch doctors!!! It sounds like some of the doctor's are there only because it is extra income for them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Leigh...to hell with Dr Stephen. 10 pounds a month is perfect, and it a good amount to lose so that you don't gain it back. Stick to your guns girl...you rock the house. Congrats on the weight and getting healthy.

    Nina

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the 50lb loss!
    As for Dr. Stephen, I am guessing that he is old and old school in his ways. More critical than supportive. You did a great job holding it together during Christmas and sometimes the body craves protein when it needs it.
    Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 10 pounds a month - I wish I could do that. Don't listen to him, you are doing what is right for you!! Your pace, your plan, your time. Keep going back and keep yourself accountable to the weigh ins, but not to that doctor!! Congrats on the 50 pounds!!!

    MO-tivated

    ReplyDelete
  12. COngrats to your weight loss!!! That's such a great and fantastic accompliment!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 10 lbs a month is AMAZING and seriously something to be proud of! Way to go, and keep up the great work. You are doing this for you. Not to become some crazy perfectionist. Cyber fist bump!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done on your loss that is amazing and to lose so much you must be doing everything you should be. I must admit I would have left with the all the accusations but it must be firing you on to prove him wrong. You know you did everything that you should be doing. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! That is amazing! I know how awesome it feels to hit 50 and can be tear jerking!


    By the way you were tagged on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 10 lbs is awesome to lose each month Screw what he says losing anymore than that would be dangerous in my opinion and opinions of a lot of people. He couldnt do better unless he starved his self so screw him. Keep up the great work and dont let anyones words make you feel your doing bad because you are doing awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow Kick ass!!! Protein is good MKKKKK!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Remarkable! Its in fact awesome article, I have got much clear idea concerning from this
    piece of writing.
    Here is my website - oxygen

    ReplyDelete