Thursday, January 19, 2012

Phase 1 friendly Taco Salad

This is my easy go to recipe.  If I'm short on time, I can make this fast and it fills me up.  I also do this exact same thing and call it Lettuce Tacos.  For the tacos, I just use romaine leaves as the taco shell and spoon the filling on the romaine leaves, fold and enjoy.



For Taco Salad you will need:

  • extra lean ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey), all are yummy!
  • low sodium taco seasoning
  • Allegro 4% cheese
  • mushrooms (sliced)
  • green peppers (diced)
  • green onion (sliced thin)
  • iceburg (or any kind) lettuce (shredded)

Cook ground meat until browned, drain off any fat.  Add taco seasoning and sliced mushrooms to skillet following taco directions.

You add one cup of water and the package of taco seasoning to the  ground  meat.
Let it simmer for 15 minutes, until the liquid has evaporated.

Meanwhile, shred cheese, dice and slice peppers,
onions, and lettuce. Set aside. Once the taco meat has cooked, assemble the salad, leaving the cheese for last.  Enjoy:)                                          

Stay tuned, this weekend I'm going to make a Phase 1 friendly Burger with Fries, and Phase 1 friendly Moussaka! Phase 1 friendly means carb free and very low fat!   On a side note, I joined the Running Room and was talked into registering for a 5k marathon in Port Dalhousie on April 29th.  I haven't registered for the marathon yet, but I will.  Tomorrow is my weigh-in.  Wish me luck:)

19 comments:

  1. I never really thought about mushrooms on purpose in taco meat. I will do it if I am repurposing leftovers though. Looks yummy! Tell me more about this cheese? Something I am unfamiliar with. ty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Allegro is lactose free cheese. It is very low fat, low carb, low calorie...and doesn't taste like much. But I can eat it:)

      Delete
    2. I might have to mention to my brother then. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks good!

    "talked into"...haha...you were an easy sell :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true, I was easily talked into it!

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to try this!!! Thanks for sharing! I'm still in the pureed week of the process. Next week I get to eat solids!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good. I love taco salad. I am watching carbs too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So yummy I made this last night LOVE IT :) also best of luck today at the weigh in :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This kinda reminds me of the Korean lettuce wraps I ate while visiting my parents this weekend! Yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh man, now I regret not doing tacos tonight... Ahhh, I loooove tex mex so much. With truck loads of sour cream.. oops :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is exactly my sort of food. Something I will really have to give a go to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Not sure if this is still active....I'm new to Dr. Poon's diet and had a few questions. Your recipes look amazing but I thought you were not allowed to have any cheese (dairy and high in salt) or fruits (I thought eggplants are technically fruits just like tomatoes). Would you be able to share with me why these are acceptable?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eggplants are nightshades like mushrooms. They are lower in carb than fruits and are therefore allowed on Phase one. The cheese is considered a "snack" on Phase one. The Allegro is the only cheese allowed due to low sodium and carb count. The amount is very minimal, but a little goes a long way!

      Delete
    2. I too just started. Thank goodness for your blog, I am going to try this too!

      Delete
  11. making this tonight..thank you Leigh for all your recipies!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I thought onions were not allowed on phase 1?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Green onions are allowed on Phase 1

      Delete