Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Long Point Provincial Park

The old homestead for two days.

Camping is over.  It was lots of fun; VERY sandy and VERY wet.  We arrived in Port Rowan on Sunday just after 2pm.  Checked in and set up camp right away.  I've never camped in sand before, and I really didn't mind it.  Sure sand got in absolutely everything, but it comes off with a quick shake.  After we set up camp, we headed to the beach for a swim...it was right beside our site. The beach was beautiful.

We had a late dinner made over the grill, and settled in around the campfire for the night.  I put Jules to bed around 10pm, and the wind started to pick up when I joined the group again.  It was warm, but windy.  Very windy.  I packed it in around midnight, and the wind kept me awake until about 3:30am.  I woke up the next morning just before 7, to find the skies very cloudy and the wind blowing strong.

Day two of our camping adventure was a complete write off.  I spent the entire day huddled under a patio umbrella with my hubby and girlfriend (who joined us with her family), while the kids and her hubby hung out in their ginormous tent!  Good times!  The rain just did not want to let up...and my gf claimed I was the biggest smack talker ever because at least once per hour, I swore I saw it clearing to the south of us.  I stopped talking smack around 6pm, when the skies finally began to clear.

Day three of the camping trip brought us to today.  I spent the morning packing up for our trip back to the city.  So all in all, I spent about an hour at the beach relaxing before spending an entire day soaking wet and very cold.  Sounds miserable and sob provoking, but I can't wait to go back next year!  This camping trip was a test to see how Jules would do.  He loved it, as did my niece, so we're definitely going back next year for a Monday to Friday gig.  To much work to only go for a couple of nights.

I have two camping regrets.  I did not take any pictures (I no longer have a camera, my phone was dying and there was no electrical), and I did not get the chance to run.  With the rain and the rushing to do chores and either set-up or pack up, I missed my beginning of the week run.  I haven't done that in a long time (and that time I was sick) and I feel HORRIBLE about it.  I've re-worked my running schedule so I can get in at least 30k this week, but I'm pretty much running everyday for the rest of the week.  Not a good plan if you're trying to prevent injury.  I may just have to rest on Saturday and accept that I'm gonna be running less than usual...'cos I can't be getting injured!

My eating was spot on during the camping trip.  Lots of meat grilled over an open camp fire.  A high protein dieter's dream!  Right now I'm in the middle of doing a mountain of laundry...and I'm not looking forward to the trip to the laundry mat tomorrow to wash the pillows, comforter and sleeping bags.  I have a love/hate relationship with campfire.  I love the way it smells when I'm sitting around it, but hate that I have to wash absolutely everything...even the "clean" clothes once you're back home.

All in all it was an enjoyable three days, even with the rain.  I wish it hadn't rained, but it was what it was.  We kept our spirits high, the kids had fun, and all was not lost.  My gf and her hubby brought three cameras and will share their photos with us!  Good friends, good times.  Creating lasting memories for our children!