Thursday, July 4, 2013

The post about Morton's Neuroma, horizontal jumping and my first run with the boy

I went to see the chiropodist today.  I have been diagnosed with Morton's Neuroma.  This makes more sense to me because of where my foot pain lies.  This means that I have to have my orthotics adjusted yet again.  This time I had to leave my orthotics with the clinic because it's more of a major adjustment.  I should have them back by Monday at the latest.  If this doesn't work, there is the option of surgery.  But I don't want that and the chiropodist doesn't recommend it. There's only a 50% success rate.  Bottom line?  If this doesn't work I am never running the Boston Marathon, or any marathon for that matter.  I'm feeling pretty anxious and a little heart sick.  I'll deal though.  Could be much worse.  At least I can still run.

Regardless, I'm still training for my full marathon in the fall.  I'll keep going till I can't go anymore. Hopefully that will be when I get to 42.2K.   The chiropodist did tell me that I can be treated for Morton's Neuroma through physio.  Something I'll talk to Graham about when I see him next week. Just when one thing gets dealt with (hamstring, ankle) we have a new ache and pain to move onto. I will never be free of physio until the day I no longer run.  Since I don't see that happening anytime soon, I am extremely thankful for my unlimited physio benefits through work.  Amen.

Speaking of physio, Graham has me doing these "horizontal jumps" in order to strengthen my ankles.  It looked like fun when Lana initially showed me how to do it.  My word it was difficult to do this for a long time!  Even though I'm lying down, it really works your quads and I could even feel it in my lower back.  I had to keep my knees straight or I was threatened with having them forcefully kept apart.  Awkward.  Luckily, I kept them straight enough to make my torturers  therapists happy.  


Blurred by movement...

Not nearly as fun or easy as it looks.

Tuesday was a big day for Jules.  He's been begging and begging and I finally gave in.  We did our first run together.  We're doing week one of the Learn to Run Program through the Running Room. This is the same program I teach new runners.  We did 7 sets of walk 2 minutes, run 1 minute. Julien was adorable.  While we were walking he'd ask, "Can I skip during this part?" "Can I walk like Mario and Luigi?" "Mommy, lets walk like apes!"  It was the most fun I've ever had teaching a new runner.

He was a real trooper and did awesome!  We went about 1.5K and he was so proud of himself when we finished our practice run.  He's bugged me yesterday and today to practice again.  I promised we'd go again tomorrow.  He shouldn't run more than 3X per week.  I'm going to do each interval for 2 weeks before moving on.  So his Learn to Run Program will take the same amount of time as my marathon training.  He'll be running a good couple of kilometers by then.  Just in time to run the Road2Hope kids race on November 2nd, the day before my full marathon.  Between running, soccer, swimming and day camp, he's having a pretty active summer.


Jules and I ready to head out for our first run.
He's so proud of his "real" running shoes (they have laces, not velcro).

Just back from our first run.  Funny face and a little sweaty.


So Marion came up with a helpful tip about my writer's block.  She suggested that I ask my readers for issues/topics they would like me to write about.  Since I don't have a whole lot of you, I'm not expecting a ton of suggestions, or any really, but I thought I'd pose the question none the less.  Anything you've pondered in regards to my lifestyle, weight-loss, running?  Anything you wish to question, criticize or critique?  I am open to sharing pretty much anything you'd like to know about.  And I welcome all comments or suggestions.  Even the ones that disagree with me.  I am an expert in nothing so I appreciate any new information you have to offer me.  Ignorance may be bliss, but knowledge is power.