Sunday, September 27, 2015

The post about a busy day and the orientation for the Fight to End Cancer...



  • It's #coffeetime and I couldn't wait to take my dressings off this morning. Gonna let my incisions breathe for an hour before I shower and do it all over again. I'm itchy at the incision site and where the tape sticks. Don't like this tape I'm using. It's too sharp. I need some soft fabric kind for my delicate girl skin. I'll venture out while I'm out today. 
  • Exciting times. I'm going to the orientation for the Fight to End Cancer. I'm gonna be partnered up and hear about the rigorous training schedule. This is what I've been training for the past few months. Just to get strong enough so I don't expire when I begin boxing training. Obviously I'm still out for another 3-4 weeks, but as soon as Dr. Patterson says, I'm gonna start running and working legs again. He said about 2 weeks for my lower body. Can't wait. Upper body will take a bit longer. He said 1 month max tho so I'm holding him to it! 
  • Today I eat more. And more protein. If I'm low on calories later, I'm gonna make a protein shake. Duh! Why didn't I think of that yesterday? My current situation? A very bloated tummy. Looks like I'm gonna have to purchase the Senokot. Worked like a dream the last time I was on pain killers. Constipation is no joke yo...



A recap for new readers, I want to fight for my mom who lost her fight
to cancer in August 2003...


  • This is where I spent the earlier part of my day. The orientation for the Fight to End Cancer. About 40 hopefuls showed up. They will do selection within the next month. There's only 10-12 spots but they take many things into consideration. Not just physical ability but their ability to pair you up with an opponent. There are weight and age rules that must be followed. I can only be paired with another woman between the ages of 44 and 56. And there can only be a 13 pound difference between us. I think there's only one other woman who looked to be over 40, and we're not the same weight. But honestly, with the intensity of this training, I think building muscle is inevitable and it all evens out. 
  • I've not boxed or done fundraising before but once I commit to something, I give it 110%. I'm confident that if I'm chosen, I'll be able to raise lots of funds for cancer research. Although I couldn't participate in the workout today, I got to meet and speak to many awesome people. Past fighters and the founders of the charity and owners of the boxing club. Jennifer was awesome and gave me a warm hug when I left. She knew my circumstances and was impressed that I still showed up today. It took a lot out of me and I'm extra sore right now. But I got home and rested. I'm going to eat something right now. Some hard boiled eggs and a protein smoothie. Gotta get some nutrients into me. Having to force eat is no joke yo...





  • Today I ate better. It was touch and go at lunch time. We ate out at the Sunset Grill after I went to the boxing orientation. I had chef salad with chicken breast, 3 breakfast sausages and Julien's left over home fries and thought I was going to be sick. Luckily my stomach settled and I was able to choke down a protein smoothie tonight to bring my calories up. 
  • Today while I was checking out my thighs in the mirror minus my compression garment I thought I looked scrawny. So I hopped on the scale. I didn't weigh myself on the morning of my surgery like I planned to, I think I weighed myself about 3 weeks ago. Needless to say my weight is down 7 pounds. Scrawny is not the look I'm hoping to achieve. I never want to be skinny and I cringe when someone calls me that. I want to be fit and strong. Right now I feel like everyday I'm getting weaker and losing muscle. 
  • And I'm going crazier. Nothing is worse than needing to scratch yourself good and not being able to. My incisions are so itchy. And I forgot to mention that my voice has been raspy and my throat sore. They stuck a tube down my throat during the surgery and it's been bugging me ever since. Not sure if I'm getting sick or it's just irritated. I'm nothing but a whining whiner who whines tonight. Tomorrow I think I'm gonna break away for a couple hours in the afternoon and go see Elin. She's close by and I may lay off painkillers all together and have winetime with her...