Saturday, September 26, 2015

The post about pictures of my bum, weaning off of pain killers and the cost of my procedures...



  • It's #coffeetime and I'm weaning myself off of the painkillers starting now. This is a good thing. I hate being dependent on anything. Even though I'm bored and sore, there are some real perks to being house bound. Yoga pants, leggings and tank tops 24/7. I haven't had to pluck my eyebrows all week (and it shows). I haven't blow dried or styled my hair all week. And I've not had to plan outfits at all. I bought some sleeveless tops in prep for having good arms and I'm hoping that the temps stay nice for a few more weeks. I'd like to wear at least one this year before the really cold weather sets in. Can't wait to show off my scars. And I promised Tony that the first time I come back to the gym, I'm rocking a singlet. Funny how such simple things mean so much...





  • So here's today's progress. Swollen and bruised arms. But the incisions look good. They're not painful to touch when I put the Polysporin on them. The do ooze a bit initially but not for long. And here's my bum. I didn't take before pics of my saddle bags but even with the swelling, they're gone! Just like that! Not the best angle or the sexiest picture but it's only been a few days. My naked thighs look scary right now. That I won't show. I can't even look at them. But they're healing. Dr Patterson took before pics of my thighs. I'll share that when he takes the after photos in a few months. 
  • I'm weaning myself off of the pain killers. It's going okay. I'm definitely more alert. Today I showered, changed my dressings, plucked my eyebrows, ate breakfast and lunch, put dinner in my slow cooker, answered all my blog emails and texted with some friends. That's the most I've done post surgery. I may just have to nap now. But first I'll call my dad...





  • I really, really tried but today was an eating fail. My stomach just felt off. Love the message that My Fitness Pal gave because that's 100% true. Something I learned from losing weight is that I had to eat to lose. Bodes true for right now as well. I notice my body gets leaner when I eat lots of good quality calories and train hard. I will strive to do better tomorrow. 
  • I've been getting lots of questions about the cost of my procedures as well as whether or not they were covered by our universal health care system. I'll address that first. My procedures are considered cosmetic. Therefore they were not covered by OHIP. OHIP does cover bariatric surgery (wls) if you qualify and removal of the pannis if it is medically cumbersome (rashes, skin conditions, hangs below pubic symphysis etc). You have to have lost 100 pounds and maintained the loss for 2 years. 
  • I waited several years to have my procedures done because I wanted to be sure the circumstances wouldn't change on their own with training and I wanted to be sure that I wouldn't regain before hand. If you know me at all, you know I'm frugal and it kills me to waste money. I needed to ensure that I had maintenance down pat because I'm not throwing my money away! The brachioplasty cost $5500 and the liposuction on my outer thighs cost $3800, plus tax of course. Worth every penny if you ask me. I'm only 4 days post op and I'm already thrilled with the results. I can't wait to see what it will look like when all the bruising and swelling goes down. 
  • An exciting day tomorrow. I go to my orientation session for the Fight to End Cancer. I'm not trying out but I can sit there and listen. And I get to hear about the training schedule. This should be good and scary. But a good kinda scary. Goals aren't worth making unless they scare the shit out of you...